Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Loose dagger handle

Article about: Hi Any tips on how to eliminate play in the handle of a german army dagger without disassembly please? Thanks John

Default Loose dagger handle

Hi
    Any tips on how to eliminate play in the handle of a german army dagger without disassembly please?
    Thanks
    John

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Loose dagger handle
    P
    Many

Hi John..thats a great question and the restoration forum is a great forum to ask such questions..in regards to the Heer dagger itself..it would be best to be asked in the Heer Dagger forum.
    These daggers shrink and swell due to climate changes..and would be best left to move this thread to the Heer dagger forum..to the Guys who handles these on a daily basis.

I will leave a 1 day redirect between the 2 forums.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Thank you Larry, much appreciated.
    John

?

Can you not just tighten the pommel so that everything is snug and does not move.

John could you post a few pics?..curious if it is loose for the reason Tomaz says..or is it a tang or grip issue itself that is not letting the grip fit well.

Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Larry and Tomaz thanks for your replies.
    There is slight play from left to right when you move the blade, also the guard, also the grip. There is no play in the pommel, I can neither tighten nor loosen it. There is also slight up and down play to the guard.
    I've attached some photos. The one without the leather washer shows a gap between the blade and crossguard, a similar gap is on the other side. If I filled these I think that would stop the movement? If you need some more specific please let me know.
    Thanks
    John
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Loose dagger handle   Loose dagger handle  

Loose dagger handle  
    Last edited by flintlock; 07-26-2016 at 02:26 PM.

Thanks John the photos will identify whether the fittings are consistent with this producer and may answer why it is loose.

MAP
    ?

Ok...unless someone who knows this stuff steps forward with a true solution...this is what I have done in the past when I've had to "tighten" something up in tight spaces.

I haven't used this on any militaria. Feel free to laugh or ignore....

Use toothpicks like a wood shim (like when you are hanging a new window). Start with the point. If to thin, break the tip off and try again. It should snug up nicely The best part is that wood is inert and won't damage anything AND it is reversible

Like I said...laugh or ignore if you like

?

Not like the Luft or Kreig, The Heer doesn't seem to have a looking forward or offset look to it when tightened . A small shim of leather might work in this instance...
    Just my 2 centavos on this matter

Semper Fi
    Phil

Hi Map
    Thanks for your reply.
    I used matchsticks trimed down with a knife!
    It worked a treat.
    Thanks for the idea.
    Cheers
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast