Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My Eickhorn has arrived, lots of pics!!

Article about: Hi Ralph,, I am assuming you mean Michaels the craft store? Regards Larry

?

Default Re: My Eickhorn has arrived, lots of pics!!

Hi Max,

congratz on this nice Eickhorn with its late war second style fittings.
    Unfortunate its not an Eickhorn Scabbard, easily seen by the the 2 screws that hold the throat, thats not eickhorn.

Cheers,
    Ger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Eickhorn has arrived, lots of pics!!
    P
    Many

I agree with you on the scabbard Gerrit. This dagger should have a later single screw Eickhorn scabbard. The scabbard bands are unusual, I can not place them with a manufacturer. Do you have any idea of the maker?

Wolfgang

?

Early Eickhorn scabbards had two side screws .

Thanks for the input guys, I was thinking the same thing about the scabbard not being Eickhorn because of the side screws, and was also wondering who that maker could be, Degans thank you for clearing that up and giving me hope that its all matching, I was 50/50 on the issue because the blade fits the scabbard like a glove and the wear patterns makes me believe its been a part of it for a long time, so I was going through all these scenerios of how a different maker scabbbard ended up on it during period time and so forth, maybe a early Eickhorn scabbard was added to this late model dagger.....either way its all good, I didnt pay top dollar so I wont lose sleep over it, but its a good debate and mystery.

It is a nice dagger, and I don't want to take away from it in any way. The scabbard is a point of interest though.
    The early Eickhorn scabbards did of course have two side screws. However with the 4th model crossguard you would expect to see the single centre screw. The thick throat does look Eickhorn, but the scabbard bands are not what I have seen. They are flat, as would be correct for later models, but the oak leaves are certainly different. I have much to learn, so I hope you don't mind some discussion.

Wolfgang

I dont mind at all, discuss away, I love to learn also, It will still look great on my wall no matter what. Let me know if you want more or better pictures of the bands.

?

Wolfgang,
    Great observations and totally correct. You would certainly expect a late war dagger with the zinc or pot metal base metal fittings to be matched with the later single screw Eick scabbard. The bands on the above scabbard and side screws are not Eickhorn and yet the throat is typical of the company.
    As it is a late war piece I suspect that the firm utilised whatever fittings / parts they could get their hands on, to fulfill contracts and using a scabbard shell from another manufacturer is not really a problem for me. The throat would have been swapped out to ensure a matching fit for the diameter of the Eickhorn blade.
    Eickhorn was an exception to most rules regarding mixing and matching of early and late parts, especially pre-1939, being such a large company I suspect that they held large stocks of all fittings and many of thier daggers got assembled with a variety of fittings from different periods, but rarely with parts from other manufacturers.

Just my thoughts of course .

?

Just like Wolfgang i couldnt place the fittings as being Eickhorn.
    Therefore i choose the easiest way reffering to the screws
    I better could have said it is not what we would expect from a Eickhorn 2nd pattern scabbard, which normally is the 1 screw version ( either with flat screw or the fatter one)

So I think that, taking the above in consideration ( Wolfgang & Degens posts), the scabbard is a mixture of Non Eickhorn and Eickhorn parts.
    But having the typical Eickhorn throat makes it a Eickhorn manufactured Scabbard.
    It delivers the needed fit for the dagger.

Cheers,
    Ger

does anyone have any "how to display this" ideas? I would like to frame it somehow, maybe with an original photo, or just hang it on the wall.......its too long to fit in my display case. anyone have photos of how they display theres?

This is how I display some of my daggers. The cases are available at Micheals and are relatively inexpensive.
    Ralph.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Eickhorn has arrived, lots of pics!!   My Eickhorn has arrived, lots of pics!!  

Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast