Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Question regarding Alcoso type 4 highlift?

Article about: Hi, I need some help please with answering this question: I have found a Heer dagger by Alcoso with the type 4 highlift crossguard that I am thinking of buying it all looks right to me and p

Default Question regarding Alcoso type 4 highlift?

Hi,
    I need some help please with answering this question: I have found a Heer dagger by Alcoso with the type 4 highlift crossguard that I am thinking of buying it all looks right to me and pretty much like the one shown in Ger Hessels and Danny Rieske's book but the blade is not maker marked (this is mentioned in the dealers description) and from what research I have been able to do it would appear that these usually have the Alcoso mark. So my question is: Is it possible that a Alcoso type 4 highlift dagger could be produced without a maker mark? or is it unlikely and probably means the blade on the one I am looking at is not the original blade? Please HELP! If this dagger's blade is definitely wrong then I will pass on it. I am posting photos they are not great photos from the dealers site but all I have.
    Regards, Andy.
    Question regarding Alcoso type 4 highlift?Question regarding Alcoso type 4 highlift?Question regarding Alcoso type 4 highlift?Question regarding Alcoso type 4 highlift?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question regarding Alcoso type 4 highlift?
    P
    Many

Great question GroFaz..I am also used to seeing a Horizontal Alcoso trademark on the blade of these late production daggers.

Maybe Ger or Danny know something we dont?

For me if I were looking for a High lift crossguard type by this producer it would have to say " Alcoso "
    A very renown and collectible type.

Best Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Hi Larry, Well there is another one I have found from a different dealer that does have the Horizontal Alcoso trademark it is A C S rather than A W S but I have read that this is also a correct mark for this type it's not as nice looking as the unmarked one but cheaper so I could go for that depending on what I might find out here? Here are some photos again not good pics though.
    Question regarding Alcoso type 4 highlift?Question regarding Alcoso type 4 highlift?Question regarding Alcoso type 4 highlift?

Quote by Larry C View Post
    Great question GroFaz..I am also used to seeing a Horizontal Alcoso trademark on the blade of these late production daggers.

Maybe Ger or Danny know something we dont?

For me if I were looking for a High lift crossguard type by this producer it would have to say " Alcoso "
    A very renown and collectible type.

Best Larry

I'll just comment on the trademark. "ACS Alcoso, Solingen" as shown in post #3, was used by the company from 1937 through 1939. The "AWS Alcoso" trademark emerged in 1941.

?

When it comes to army daggers many things are possible. Manufacturers buying from each other, manufacturers using up old parts etc. If a dagger is not a textbook piece, that doesn't mean that it's not original and unmessed with. BUT, it can also mean that someone has switched out parts. You will never be sure. That's why I like "textbook" daggers. If you buy a textbook dagger, you don't need to explain anything if you ever want to sell it and you can be pretty sure that all parts of the dagger were together from the moment the dagger was produced. When it comes to the Alcoso type 4 guard, I would say the combination with the last "AWS" logo and the type 4 crossguard is textbook. But ofcourse it is likely that they still had blades laying around when they assembled daggers with this late crossguard. That's why the combination of a type 4 crossguard and ACS logo doesn't make this dagger questionable. Just not a textbook piece, that's all.

Regards
    Danny

Thanks for all your responses and after considering what has been said here I think I have decided to wait for a text book example of this Alcoso type to appear and I now have my eye on a very nicely patinated Eickhorn with what I think is a type 3 crossguard that to me looks text book. I will post pics on a separate topic soon to see what you guys think of it as the pics are not great.
    Many thanks, Andy.

Andy be patient and buy when you find the dagger you are happy with. Why buy an unmarked Alcoso high lift when a marked example is certainly obtainable.

?

I agree with Tom, later type army daggers like this Alcoso 4th pattern are not that rare and are fpund with the 4th and 5th logo ACS & AWS with scales.
    The benefit of a textbook dagger is the fact that its not been questioned when you try to sell it in the future

Ger

AGREED! Keep looking and you will be glad.. Best, Kevin.