Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Two army daggers by Horster

Article about: Here are two army daggers by Hörster. One of the two (with tag) is the later example with the smaller trademark. It has a beautiful glass or amber grip. The other one has the big early trade

?

Default Two army daggers by Horster

Here are two army daggers by Hörster. One of the two (with tag) is the later example with the smaller trademark. It has a beautiful glass or amber grip. The other one has the big early trademark and early fittings. The crossguard is the not too often seen 2nd style WKC which is correct for this maker. The blade is in perfect shape with full crossgrain. Enjoy the pictures.

Danny
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two army daggers by Horster   Two army daggers by Horster  

Two army daggers by Horster   Two army daggers by Horster  

Two army daggers by Horster  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Two army daggers by Horster
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Two army daggers by Horster

Hi Danny,

Two lovely Army daggers by Horster

You have a collection of top quality daggers !

Thanks for showing

Regards Mac 66.

I am going to go on a glass "binge' for a few moments ...I am amazed anymore of these types of grips,,and also wondering what was actually going through the producers minds to make such delicate grips that would easily chip or break. Ther is no doubt in my mind that to have one of these type of army daggers then and now would be an honorable. Which also brings me to comment on Honorable......this is just speculation and opinion,,,but compared to a dedication type of dagger I am wondering that these special glass grips were some sort of gift from the Higher up officers..or was it a special made to oredrwith a higher price tag?.
    I can not imagine these types of dagegr grips going into the field of battle and not coming out chipped or cracked. I have only seen near perfect to mint examples of these grips in the past.

@ danny..you have out done yourself again and they are quite the beauties.
    Any thoughts anyone on these type of grips being a gift or army type award dagger? Just a thought Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

?

Hi Danny

well i think the Gents here are happy that i persuaded you to start posting the daggers of your great collection
    These 2 are real beauty's, i think the glass grips are in the same league as your Heeres Slants and Ivory grips

Lovely to see the change in trademarks next to eachother over the years.

Thx for showing these beauty's Danny!
    Im looking forward to our meeting next saturday, and i will bring the Gunto type 95 and when all goes well this week i will add another Gunto type 98 to it!

Ger

From the appearance of the 1st dagger's grip, it could well Be made of Amber. As Larry speculated, this would almost certainly have been a gift from a higher up. I can't imagine anyone having the pretension to actually order Himself an Amber gripped dagger...

Two beauties in immaculate condition, by anyone's standards! I particularly like the original tag still being in place! Very nice!
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Thanks for your positive replies guys I've always wondered why the Germans used these amber grips. Some say it was an experiment that didn't work out too well. I like the theory that Lary mentioned, that this was some kind of gift. Especially when you take into account that many collectors believe that all celluloid grips started out white and only turned orange after several years of exposure to UV. A grip that was made of amber would really stand out between all the white grips if this was the case.
    I'm very interested in more information about the use of these type of grips.
    Ger, I will bring this one with me on saterday so you can see it in hand

Danny

?

A real treat to see these Danny , thanks for showing them , I think these glass grips add something special to the overall visual effect of these daggers !
    REGARDS AL

We are the Pilgrims , master, we shall go
    Always a little further : it may be
    Beyond that last blue mountain barred with snow
    Across that angry or that glimmering sea...

?

Beautiful daggers