Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

The Unmarked Blades

Article about: Dear all, I would like to talk about the unmarked blades vs the marked ones. And by that I am talking about the makers logo. It seems like the daggers with the makers logo are more desireabl

Default The Unmarked Blades

Dear all,

I would like to talk about the unmarked blades vs the marked ones.
    And by that I am talking about the makers logo.

It seems like the daggers with the makers logo are more desireable to collectors.
    And it makes sense, all antique objects I can think of are more interesting if the producer can be established.

But what was the reason for all the unmarked blades? Was it a request from the officer or were the blades just marked/unmarked by random?

We have earlier talked about "distributors marks", which I totally understand why any officer would not want on the dagger. But the makers logo should not be that disturbing - in my opinion.

Best Regards
    Chris

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement The Unmarked Blades
    P
    Many

Chris, Simply put - not at all uncommon with some very high quality Imperial era blades I'm of the opinion that it was intentional, and allowed the retail establishments to switch manufacturers/suppliers at will. Likewise, it permitted manufacturers to sell to competing businesses, and not be in conflict with those who were established retailers for a specific brand. Best Regards, Fred

that sound reasonable.

Very simple.

The market will always demand products, with no brand mark.
    Even today.

Regards
    Vedran

I love unmarked daggers! Especially early or mid period daggers, which don´t have generic parts. If I have chance to purchase nice daggers I buy it, despite fact it is marked or unmarked... I have several daggers which are unmarked, but in my opinion they are equal to others examples. If the dagger is authentic, untouched, never been apart and not consist of various parts - there is certainly nothing bad on unmarked dagger and dagger collector add it into collection.

Regard Peter

I think this would be a great thread of information identifying parts used for another producer or distributor. I look forward to much input and photos. Blade tang photos would be beneficial. Looking forward to all replies..as plain as these logoless daggers are they are yet quite inclusive..and still played a major role in Heer production. Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Dismantling dagger is always a bad idea.
    Dagger grip is very sensitive, and due dismantling, they often know to crack.
    After that ,there is no return back, in the past.

Regards
    Vedran