Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast

Wehrmacht daggers collection

Article about: A beautiful army dagger Peter! I had the privilage to hold this one in my hands when I visited Ger a few weeks ago. Congretulations on adding this rare piece to your collection Danny

?

Quote by PeterCollector View Post
    Hi, Gerrit thanks for your comment. It is very hard to guess, if the grip has wood core. In this case 2nd. model Huftwaffe dagger has standard celluloid grip, without any core - I mean wood or another. I know it because I took the dagger apart several years ago. And grip is really heavy. If you want to see wood core dagger I show one here: Luftwaffe daggers collection - unmarked example - very similar Another plaster filed grip, which has crack, so you can see material under cover is here: Luftwaffe daggers collection - AWS marked dagger.

I never took apart H. Kolping dagger, so I can´t be totally sure, but it is same grip like Luftwaffe dagger - my opinion is that this grip is also celluloid not plaster filed. Many times it is necessary to inspect dagger by hands, but sometimes took apart dagger. Regards Peter
    Thx Peter for the reply,

indeed nothing compares to an old in hand inspection.
    I will take a look at your LW daggers for sure!

Ger

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrmacht daggers collection
    P
    Many

Hello to all my friends and collectors!
    Here is my new dagger. It is early/mid period example made by ANTON WINGEN Jr. Solingen. Dagger is very nice despite the fact it saw a lot of usage during the period. Pommel has almost all silvering 95% on the oak leafs, but top of pommel has almost all silvering worn of, only small part remain. Grip is standard later Wingen example, it belongs to this piece, but it is interesting to note most of this early Wingen examples has slant grip. Crossguard is E. Pack 1st. type. Wingen and other producers purchase a lot of parts from E. Pack, but then crossguards were finished by skilled workers in factory. Both pommel and crossguard had a lot of handwork done. Notice almost all silvering on crossguard is worn off. When I purchase dagger it was dirty, so I decide to clean it with tooth paste my favorite method of cleaning highly dirty things. You see the result. There IS NO silver paint or frosting! After few months or years it started to get patination again. Sometimes I decide to clean dagger (when they are so dirty, that I can´ recognize details) or sometimes I left them in untouched state. Scabbard is also E. Pack produced example and also had part of silvering worn off. Please notice interesting throat retaining and its screws. Last photo is with late produced Wingen dagger, only to compare. This late dagger is in this thread too, so feel free to check it, if it is necessary. I hope you will like photos, please enjoy them. Regards Peter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrmacht daggers collection   Wehrmacht daggers collection  

Wehrmacht daggers collection   Wehrmacht daggers collection  

?

Thx for showing Peter

it has its amount of honest wear but it is an attractive piece, congratz!
    I like those early crossguards, some are beautiful eagles others are a bit wierd but they all have their own identity

Regards,
    Ger

Hi Ger,
    thanks for you comment. I agree with you, early daggers are unique, but sometimes they looks ugly, but we like them too much.

Regards
    Peter

Hi Peter..I have to agree with Gerrit..the Anton Wingen looks to be an "oddball" in quality. My first impression after seeing the pommel and crossguard would..almost make me push the button for the "Best of the Worst"..or Near Perfect Edged Weapon Reproductions threads...so a question for myself and the other readers..is this a common attribute with this maker to have this type of workmanship..or are these parts comparable to another maker? Regards larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

Larry, thanks for your question,
    Anton Wingen entered into the marked with Wehrmacht daggers very early. Anton wingen daggers can be find with - Early I believe its own crossguard with slant grip and first type of marker mark, next Wingen use - as many other 1st. E. Pack crossguards, which were finished in house, so each crossguard is unique, despite the fact it was purchased from E. Pack. Finishing pommel and crossguard by skilled workers was not very easy, so sometimes crossguards and pommels looks weird. There is nothing bad with this dagger and it is 100% authentic. When dagger take again its patination it will be look much better.

Regards Peter

?

Comparing early crossguard with the late war type, is comparing hand enhanced eagles against completely machine made eagles/guards.
    Regarding style the later ones are more pronounced standarised.
    I fancy the late ones because of their style.
    The early ones have a lot more hand labour in them, so as Peter stated, unique ones can be found, in combination with the Slant grip (Type A) beautiful pieces of art can be found.

Cheers,
    Ger

?

The crossguard is clearly a type 1 Pack but I think it came out of the factory with a more detailed eagle. This dagger was obviously well worn, causing a lot of wear on the crossguard which makes it look a bit rough and not as sharp as we normally see with this type of crossguard. Also Peter said the dagger was very dirty and was cleaned. This process can also take away some of the sharpness.

It's a nice original dagger with some honest wear and the patina will surely return in time.

Danny

Hi Danny, Gerrit, thanks for your comments, you both are absolutely right. Sometimes I like daggers which saw a lot of usage during the Third Reich period. And this one, certainly has very interesting "life".

Regards Peter

Hi to all my friends and collectors. Here is my new Wehrmacht officer dagger made by PUMA, Solingen. This dagger has Generic "A" fittings which is my favorite, because I like their details. Pommel and crossguard are heavily silver-plated, but show a lot of usage during the period also. I like the pieces, which were in service during Third Reich era, because these dagger "remember" a lot Knot belongs to this piece and is originally repaired by previous owner - Wehrmacht officer. Blade is very nice also and has very popular PUMA marker mark. Please look closely into the blade tip - it is very interesting and I never saw this kind of "flaw" on blade. Scabbard has one big hit on lower position - I think somebody (officer) hit with this dagger something maybe chair or table or somebody´s head when he was angry or drunk that is why I like this - you can imagine its history. Dagger is complete with De-Luxe hanger with hard to find leather tabs.

I hope you will like this dagger and some well detailed photos.

Regards Peter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrmacht daggers collection   Wehrmacht daggers collection