Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

WKC Heer Officers dagger.

Article about: Hi Guys. Here is my first officers dagger that I have just bought. I am relatively new to collecting these and have read a fair bit so far but I am no expert. From my research this is what I

Quote by Degens View Post
    Can we get a shot of the scabbard throat opening on the thread starter dagger please?.
    WKC Heer Officers dagger.

We must have been posting at the same time as you were answering the questions as I was typing them. Thanks for your time.
    Best regards
    Steve

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement WKC Heer Officers dagger.
    P
    Many

?

Thanks Steve, was worth a look. Many WKC daggers have a unique oval scabbard throat ( Oval Throat ) that no other maker employed. To be honest, I was not expecting it to have one due to the make up of the rest of the scabbard.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture WKC Heer Officers dagger.  

Hi Steve..welcome to the forum...thankyou for posting your dagger here on this forum. You will get precise answers from some of the top Heer collectors in the hobby which this forum is grateful to have here with us. Enjoy your stay..and since you just walked in the door..when you get time..take a stroll through some of the most exhaustive and picturesque Heer dagger threads. Best Regards Larry
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill

If you wanna determine approximately dating of portepee, we need to know - the kind of material is hi made.
    Knitting is aluminum made, or cellon?
    Aluminum indicates an earlier production, cellon later one.
    Black-light test?

Regards
    Vedran
    Last edited by Rancid66; 03-29-2014 at 05:02 PM.

Quote by Rancid66 View Post
    If you wanna determine approximately dating of portepee, we need to know - the kind of material is hi made.
    Knitting aluminum made, or cellon?
    Aluminum indicates an earlier production, cellon later one.
    Black-light test?

Regards
    Vedran
    Hi Vedran.
    I think that the material is aluminium over a white (ish) thread, I am looking at it through a jewellers loupe and the deeper I look the older it appears. I am going out for a ride in the sunshine now so I will see if I can get a UV light.

Degens.
    The throat is hand finished and again through the loupe I can see file marks, it is not quite symetrical and not that well finished either. The two screws are round dome head.

Larry.
    Thanks for the welcome, yes I agree the forum is a mine of information. I've been reading for around six months and I am enjoying learning, it's good to keep the old grey matter working.

Best regards
    Steve

Steve, it is portepee made from aluminum, that means - portepee is from early period.
    And check if is on portepee any traces for aluminum disease - crystallization.
    These one for me looks very strange.

Regards
    Vedran

I have just got a UV light. The portapee looks dark, the same as the hanger. I cannot see any sign of aluminium disease.

Knitting in the neck of these portape, looks to me like repro type.
    Today the market is literally flooded with mint portapees.
    (And they can be very tricky.)

Regards
    Vedran
    Last edited by Rancid66; 03-29-2014 at 06:25 PM.

Steve, Your dagger while very nice looking is full of anomalies. The grip is beautiful but as said this is not a typical WKC scabbard, they did use double dome head screws earlier on but these bands are not WKC production. Could they have outsourced the whole scabbard? maybe. I have more concern with the Eickhorn production pommel, notice how the pommel leaves are casted at an angle away from the top, this was not a mid to late WKC pommel trait. WKC did exchange parts with Eickhorn during the period but generally later. The tang of your blade is the earlier version of the non tapered variety where the tang has been ground down from tapered versus the later round tang casted that way(so it does not seem to fit the "later" examples). I do not mean to discourage you but inform you of the details. The variations are endless on these but they have to be delt with on resale! Best, Kevin.

Kevin, yep I noticed pommel yesterday, but a sometime times people are killing the messenger who brings bad news - more that one or two.
    (Scabbard, portepee - and pommel becomes surplus.)

Regards
    Vedran
    Last edited by Rancid66; 03-30-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2