Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M35 Decal Help

Article about: Hi ladies and gents. I purchased this m35 from an antiques fair today and was told that it was a German ww2 police helmet. As I’m new to collecting German Militaria, I was interested as to w

Default M35 Decal Help

Hi ladies and gents.

I purchased this m35 from an antiques fair today and was told that it was a German ww2 police helmet. As I’m new to collecting German Militaria, I was interested as to what the decal should look like. From a quick search on the internet I realised that the decal doesn’t seem to match the double decal ones.

So my question is does anyone have any ideas about the decal? Also it seems like the helmet had a white band around it that has been scraped off.

M35 Decal HelpM35 Decal HelpM35 Decal HelpM35 Decal HelpM35 Decal HelpM35 Decal Help

My first thoughts were post war, maybe pre war or even fake.

Any information would be a great help thanks

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M35 Decal Help
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Welcome Vodkamann (personally I prefer Kentucky Bourbon )

This helmet is actually a lightweight M34 helmet. Not a combat M35.

As far as the decal, it is too far gone for me to tell. Maybe others will recognize it. I would guess it is a postwar decal for a town/region. It also looks like at one time this helmet had a white stripe around it which has since been removed. It has a number of names in it. Some of which appear to be written in a felt tip marker. If I'm correct, that would indicate post war use as well.

Finally, and it may just be my eyes / photo, but it looks like (4:00 position) that there was another decal on this helmet at one time under the existing decal. (on second look, this just may be part of the existing decal)

I don't think the decal is fake however.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    Welcome Vodkamann (personally I prefer Kentucky Bourbon )

This helmet is actually a lightweight M34 helmet. Not a combat M35.

As far as the decal, it is too far gone for me to tell. Maybe others will recognize it. I would guess it is a postwar decal for a town/region. It also looks like at one time this helmet had a white stripe around it which has since been removed. It has a number of names in it. Some of which appear to be written in a felt tip marker. If I'm correct, that would indicate post war use as well.

Finally, and it may just be my eyes / photo, but it looks like (4:00 position) that there was another decal on this helmet at one time under the existing decal. (on second look, this just may be part of the existing decal)

I don't think the decal is fake however.
    Hi thank you for the reply and the information

From having another look I think there maybe was another decal on the other side but has been painted over. Possibly had both painted over and this new mystery decal added along with the white band.

I’m tempted to email the dealer for some more information as it was sold to me as “Nazi police”.

Thanks again for the information MAP

MAP
    ?

At one time it was a WW2 German Fire/Police helmet used under the Nazi regime.

You can see it has the tabs for a neck flap. Too bad the white paint was taken off. That was a nice bonus. And of course the original decals were removed and replaced with a decal of a local region post war. In post war Germany it was common for these helmets to be de-Nazified and reused.

Here are two of my period originals.

M34 Feurschutzplizei DD - intact!

M34 Fire/Police Helmet

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Quote by MAP View Post
    At one time it was a WW2 German Fire/Police helmet used under the Nazi regime.

You can see it has the tabs for a neck flap. Too bad the white paint was taken off. That was a nice bonus. And of course the original decals were removed and replaced with a decal of a local region post war. In post war Germany it was common for these helmets to be de-Nazified and reused.

Here are two of my period originals.

M34 Feurschutzplizei DD - intact!

M34 Fire/Police Helmet
    Was it common for these types of helmet to have white bands? Ah I see what you mean about the tabs on the liner now. Thank you again for the information. You have some impressive items, hopefully one day I’ll have a similar collection

MAP
    ?

Quote by Vodkaman6661 View Post
    Was it common for these types of helmet to have white bands? Ah I see what you mean about the tabs on the liner now. Thank you again for the information. You have some impressive items, hopefully one day I’ll have a similar collection
    I don't study them but know enough to get into trouble.

It is not common to have the white band. I think it symbolized the leader but don't remember for sure. Maybe others can chime in.

Hi, Michael has said it all really, that is definitely a state shield and not part of a Reich decal set up. Leon.

Fallschirmager is correct it has a localized state shield on the side, most likely post war.
    Morris