Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

14th Canadian Army Tank Regiment helmet

Article about: Hi to everyone! I got this canadian helmet time ago but I wasn't able to find anything about it on the web: I have only realized that the insigna is of 14th Canadian Army Tank Regiment. Coul

?

Default 14th Canadian Army Tank Regiment helmet

Hi to everyone!
    I got this canadian helmet time ago but I wasn't able to find anything about it on the web: I have only realized that the insigna is of 14th Canadian Army Tank Regiment.
    Could you give more informations? Do you think it's real?
    Thank you very much.

NIK
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 14th Canadian Army Tank Regiment helmet   14th Canadian Army Tank Regiment helmet  

14th Canadian Army Tank Regiment helmet  

That flash was only used during WWII...and the MkIV helmet did not arrive in time to see action in WWII. The Calgaries fought in Italy, and the MkIV was not even in circulation yet....so....

?

This helmet was on another forum & I mentioned there that the Mk4 probably did not see service during WW2.
    Also the liner is a Mk1 made between 37-39 & never had a lift the dot,which was first used in early 45.

?

Out of interest, did the Canadians use the Mk4, or did they go straight over to the US M1 after the Mk2/Mk3.
    Or were they issued in small numbers?

?

Hi Aaron Canada did not adopt the the Mk IV after WW II for the most part they were found to big and bulky and there were still sufficient supplies of Mk II's and M-1 helmets still in Canadian military stores.

Regards Mark

?

ok, thank you very much for replies.
    I'm sorry but i don't understand if the shell is a MKIII or MKIV (someone said me that it could be a MKII), could you explain me?

Instead the liner is an mk1, right?

What do you think about insigna?
    Thanks a lot.

NIK

?

Hi Nik,
    The helmet is a Mk4, it has a rivet to fix the liner & low down chin strap lugs, produced in 1945-Jan'46. Then production started again in the early 50's. The Mk3 was produced from 1943-45, it had a nut & bolt to fix the liner & higher up chin strap lugs.
    The paintwork on your helmet does look old, but I know nothing about Canadian insignia.

?

Hi Nic Dayle is spot on with his assesment of this Mk IV and the flash as this helmet would not have seen service during WW II as it was produced to late to be issued to the troops there fore IMO the flash would have been painted post war as well .
    If period appliied I would expect to see it on a Mk III and possibly used by support troops attached to the unit .

Regards Mark