Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

1930's pith helmet

Article about: Hi guys, Not been on for a while so first of all let me say sorry for that! I have recently got this pith helmet by a friend. Dated 1930, Maker is Hobson & Sons of London. It looks like

Default 1930's pith helmet

Hi guys,

Not been on for a while so first of all let me say sorry for that!

I have recently got this pith helmet by a friend. Dated 1930, Maker is Hobson & Sons of London.

It looks like it has been painted/stained. I was wondering if this was a period thing or if someone has done it since to change its appearance? Also, would it be royal marines issue, other or a private purchase as it has wholes in the front for what I assume to be a badge (but I guess anyone can put a badge on a civilian hat, doesn't necessarily mean its military?

Sorry about this list of questions
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1930's pith helmet   1930's pith helmet  

1930's pith helmet   1930's pith helmet  

1930's pith helmet  

Hi it could be Royal marines or also could have also been used be a Police force somewhere in the Far east in the days of the empire

Quote by kradman View Post
    Hi it could be Royal marines or also could have also been used be a Police force somewhere in the Far east in the days of the empire
    Do you think the paint/staining is period then?

If not, does anyone know any good ways to strip it?

Cheers

I have seen Police pith helmets in this green colour before i think the last one i saw was Hong Kong Police so i would leave it as is ,i think the biggest problem you will have is finding the screw on vent cover off the top of the helmet

Lots of private purchase pith helmets were impressed into army service as were many ordered from civilian makers, well all were from civilian makers to be correct. Hard to say 100% but it might have been foreign police issue and reused by the army, impossible to say. A nice pith especially if the price was sensible.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Quote by Anon View Post
    Lots of private purchase pith helmets were impressed into army service as were many ordered from civilian makers, well all were from civilian makers to be correct. Hard to say 100% but it might have been foreign police issue and reused by the army, impossible to say. A nice pith especially if the price was sensible.
    I'm happy with it. We were given it because we bought a few helmets of a chap and he just gave it us which was nice.

Will leave it as it is