Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

1939 Home front MK2 Helmet

Article about: I literally picked this helmet up at a fair this morning at 10am! I will add this helmet to the large dedicated thread later, I may take out door photos for that thread. My first MK2 helmet

?

Default 1939 Home front MK2 Helmet

I literally picked this helmet up at a fair this morning at 10am! I will add this helmet to the large dedicated thread later, I may take out door photos for that thread.

My first MK2 helmet and a very good first one in my opinion. Made in 1939 by BMB for both the liner and helmet (matching) . The paint is very much still on and very shiny, the dealer said this also showed it was an early helmet as this paint type was abandoned later on. The liner and straps are in pretty good condition.

I am also chuffed to say this is a Scottish used Mk2 Helmet , makes it more special to me (not that there would be anything wrong with an English one ) This specific helmet was giving to a man called Thomas love as written on the chinstrap, he was from Dundee and was in the Blackwatch as i have a Cap that was sold as part of the set which shows he was in that role. Will make a separate thread for the cap.

This Helmet came with a net on it. My question is this the right type of net to be on this helmet? Is it correct?

Plus is there any other neat things to know about the helmet!

Thank you and enjoy the Helmet pics!

1939 Home front MK2 Helmet1939 Home front MK2 Helmet1939 Home front MK2 Helmet1939 Home front MK2 Helmet1939 Home front MK2 Helmet1939 Home front MK2 Helmet1939 Home front MK2 Helmet1939 Home front MK2 Helmet1939 Home front MK2 Helmet

A very nice early Mk2! You've done very well with your first Brodie.

Whilst I'm not entirely sure, I believe this may be a military helmet rather than a Home Front example. The dealer is right about the finish. Early helmets like this (often referred to as BEF helmets, whether there is any provenance of it being used by a member of the BEF or not) had this very attractive shiny green paintwork. Later on, they switched to a rough textured paint to aid in camouflage.

Below is my midwar example. The rough paintwork isn't anywhere near as attractive as the smooth paint on the early helmets, in my honest opinion.

In regards to the net, here's another photo of the same helmet fitted with a WWII-era net. They came in both green and brown colouration. There were also two-tone camouflage nets, used by the Canadians.

Regards, B.B.

?

Probably an Army one then, I still don’t know a whole lot about these helmets.

Actually if it came with his black watch regiment cap then it’s definitely army then, should of sussed that myself!

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Probably an Army one then, I still don’t know a whole lot about these helmets.

Actually if it came with his black watch regiment cap then it’s definitely army then, should of sussed that myself!
    Even as an army helmet, it's a top end example. Virtually all the paint remains, and the liner and chinstrap are in great shape. Not sure how much you paid for this one, but if you paid the Home Front price for a military lid, you got a great deal on it.

B.B.

?

Here is the Helmets accompanying cap. A Blackwatch one made in 1940 by A&J.GELFER GLASGOW. Some very nice markings and a nice badge.
    1939 Home front MK2 Helmet1939 Home front MK2 Helmet1939 Home front MK2 Helmet

?

As a general rule, smooth painted khaki green helmets were used on the home front. Army issued helmets were textured khaki green which helped stop a glare off the helmet. It's become a bit of a myth to say these shiny ones were used by the BEF, the vast majority of helmets used by the army at that time would have been the Mk1*, And none of them would have been shiny.

?

Thanks for elaborating on the topic tinlid!

Either way I still really like this helmet.