Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

1940 Australian MK2 Desert Camo

Article about: Gday, I finally was able to research this Australia helmet I picked up. I was drawn to it because of the camouflage exterior even though it was a bit rough. When I got it home I discovered t

4md
    ?

Default 1940 Australian MK2 Desert Camo

Gday, I finally was able to research this Australia helmet I picked up. I was drawn to it because of the camouflage exterior even though it was a bit rough. When I got it home I discovered the name and number in the shell.
    The shell itself is Commonwealth steel Co manufactured dated 1940 on the chinstrap lugs. The liner is Dunlop and also August 1940, which would make it a very early Australian mk2?( I think they started in 1940?). Im not sure if the rubber liner pad in the dome is missing or if its an earlier liner with no pad?
    Scratched and painted in the dome in several places is the name of the owner and his service number which is C SWEET SX2982. His records show that he joined up in 1940 and was discharged in 1943 and his unit at discharge was the 2/7 FD RGT AIF. The 2/7th Field regiment was part of the 9th division, the 13th battery was from South Australia. They served all through the western desert and were attached to the 26 brigade at Tel el eisa where they fired some 20 000 rounds over 5 days in the German counter attack.
    The paint is very light tan or almost white with a sand texture coat over the top

regards Paul
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1940 Australian MK2 Desert Camo   1940 Australian MK2 Desert Camo  

1940 Australian MK2 Desert Camo   1940 Australian MK2 Desert Camo  

1940 Australian MK2 Desert Camo  

?

Well, we actually have an original Desert camo,and on an Australian named and traced helmet.
    It maybe very worn, but that's how they should be, and yes, I think the liner is a Mk1, which would have had an oval pad.
    Thank you very much for showing.

SMP
    ?

Great helmet ! I estimate only 1 in a hundred camos said to be from the desert are original

Very nice Paul!.....& equally so that it has survived so long in this condition. . years ago it would have chucked it away in granpas shed cleanout......

Regards, Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

4md
    ?

Im not sure on the details of Clinton Sweet and his Discharge in August 1943 but it may explain why his helmet is still painted in desert camo. I am still researching but the 2/7 field regiment returned to Australia in early 1943, so he didnt serve much longer and never left Australia again to serve in the pacific area. The 2/7th stayed in Australia until Tarakan later in the war.

4md
    ?

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Very nice Paul!.....& equally so that it has survived so long in this condition. . years ago it would have chucked it away in granpas shed cleanout......

Regards, Dan
    So true, or used for something else like a feed scoop or flower pot

4md
    ?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Well, we actually have an original Desert camo,and on an Australian named and traced helmet.
    It maybe very worn, but that's how they should be, and yes, I think the liner is a Mk1, which would have had an oval pad.
    Thank you very much for showing.
    I can see remnants of a substance around the 4 lugs where the pad should go so it must have come out