Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

1941 Dated G.S.W Flashed to the NNSH

Article about: Another recent addition to the shelf is this 1941 dated G.S.W. steel lot batch A G it is sporting a 1942 dated VMC liner this particular Mk II IMO is a depot refurbished helmet due to the ov

?

Default 1941 Dated G.S.W Flashed to the NNSH

Another recent addition to the shelf is this 1941 dated G.S.W. steel lot batch A G it is sporting a 1942 dated VMC liner this particular Mk II IMO is a depot refurbished helmet due to the over paint on the exterior and interior of the helmet body that has seen minimal use it is sporting a hand painted flash to the ( NNSH ) North Nova Scotia Highlanders 3 Canadian Infantry Division...
    On the norm I prefer the helmets that I add to my collection to show genuine usage and wear indicative to being field worn but decided to make an exception on this particular Mk II as flashed examples to this regiment very rarely surface in the marketplace for sale...

The North Nova Scotia Highlanders were formed in December of 1936 by amalgamation of The Colchester and Hants Regiment (less C Company), The Cumberland Highlanders, and C Company, 6th Machine Gun Battalion, CMGC. In 1940 the Regiment was reorganised into three battalions in preparation for active service.
    In July 1941 they embarked from Halifax aboard the SS Orion for Great Britain and saw active service in Europe with the 9th Bde, 3rd Canadian Inf Division, landing in Normandy on D-Day.

Regards Mark
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1941 Dated G.S.W Flashed to the NNSH   1941 Dated G.S.W Flashed to the NNSH  

1941 Dated G.S.W Flashed to the NNSH   1941 Dated G.S.W Flashed to the NNSH  

1941 Dated G.S.W Flashed to the NNSH   1941 Dated G.S.W Flashed to the NNSH  

1941 Dated G.S.W Flashed to the NNSH  

?

Mark, another great addition.

When you say depot refurbished and over painted do you mean postwar and if so, might it have been done for victory parades?

Tony

That's another great MKII helmet Mark, you are on a real roll! Leon.

?

Thanx Leon it has been a good month for Canadian Mk II's..
    Hi Tony the reasoning behind the theory that this particular Mk ll as being depot refitted is that the liner was removed at the time of the repaint and a new coat of paint was applied inside and out and in my opinion re-fitted with a new chinstrap and liner at the time apposed to just the exterior of the helmet body just being painted over in the field or at a Battalion level..
    The paint would have been war time applied and the flash added at Unit level...

Regards Mark