Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

1953 Dated BMB HSAT

Article about: I know not every bodies cup of tea as it were but I was quite happy to be able to add this 1953 dated BMB HSAT to my collection last week and IMO was very probably one of 4000 that were orde

?

Default 1953 Dated BMB HSAT

I know not every bodies cup of tea as it were but I was quite happy to be able to add this 1953 dated BMB HSAT to my collection last week and IMO was very probably one of 4000 that were ordered by the Canadian Department on National Defense in 1953 to meet the growing demand for equipment to out fit Canada's expanding (MSF) and Airborne forces which consisted of units from the PPCLI,RCR and the R-22-R it has been repainted at least once in it's service life with the same semi gloss OD green as found used on some post war Canadian vehicles,mobile equipment,Mk II's and post war converted Canadian DR to Para helmets.
    1953 Dated BMB HSAT1953 Dated BMB HSAT
    It is apparent This Mk II HSAT has had a long service life they were used by the Canadian Airborne until replaced by the US M-1C in 1970 it has been well used and has a very nice patina about it the dome pad has been lost to the ages and one of the liner retention nuts and bolts has been replaced with a more modern substitute ( but will be swapped out with an original over the next few days ).
    The helmet has at least five different soldiers names and ID numbers written in different locations either on the interior of the shell the liner and or the chinstrap I can only clearly make out two of the names so will need to spend a little more time trying to decipher the others it will make for an interesting research project .

Regards Mark

?

Definitely saw a bit of service

?

Thanks Aaron now to just find a war time DR helmet that has been early post war converted to a Para lid to round of my Canadian Airborne Headgear collection there used to be a lot of these kicking around in the market place at one time but they are quite scarce now.

Regards Mark

?

The scourge of collectors, as they used to be sold as original HSAT's. But now they are seen in their correct light as used post war by Canada, while they had a shortage of HSAT.

?

Aaron I would love to add one to my collection I know a gent that bought one a few years back as an original HSAT and has written all over the liner and the interior with a felt marker REPO and in my opinion has ruined the helmet for what it truly was .
    He is still asking $ 500.00 Cdn for it way to much as far as I am concerned it is not a REPO he is just pissed that he got taken and did not do his homework.

Regards Mark

another beaut mark im really liking the period netting and scrim and the stand really does show off the chinstrap configuration to its best so well done on a fine aquistion and display regards james
    Regards James

?

Thanks James I am quite pleased to be able to add it to my shelf the British manufactured HSAT has a long service life in the Canadian Armed forces.

Regards Mark

A great lid Mark and a worthy addition to any helmet collection. I would quite happily add a 50's Brit para lid to my collection if I could get one for a sensible price, but even they are getting pricey now.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Thanks Jerry Canadian used examples are hard to come from what I gather from the remnants of masking tape on the front and the multiple signatures in the interior I think it may have been one of the Para helmets used at the jump school by the soldiers for the purpose of jump qualification and training I have seen a few period images from the early 60's that show masking tape used on the front and or rear of the helmet to identify the wearer as in training.

Regards Mark

All versions of the post war Brit para lid seem to start at £275 and then go up from there. that makes them far more expensive than any of my wartime headgear and at those sorts of prices I wont be buying one.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast