Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

2x WW1 Shells with Post War Liners

Article about: Just picked up these 2x helmets from the local auction, WW1 shells with 1938/1939 liners, 1x BMB and VERO, both have WD acceptance marks, and both have cracks. Are these reject shells for ci

Default 2x WW1 Shells with Post War Liners

Just picked up these 2x helmets from the local auction, WW1 shells with 1938/1939 liners, 1x BMB and VERO, both have WD acceptance marks, and both have cracks. Are these reject shells for civilian use ? Liners and straps ends appear to copper riveted on.
    Regards
    Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2x WW1 Shells with Post War Liners   2x WW1 Shells with Post War Liners  

2x WW1 Shells with Post War Liners   2x WW1 Shells with Post War Liners  

2x WW1 Shells with Post War Liners   2x WW1 Shells with Post War Liners  

?

They don't seem to be the normal Mk1* that I've seen before, normally an Mk1* has Mk1 or Mk2 chin strap lugs, these seem different.
    Also an Mk1* would have had an Mk1 lining securing nut & bolt, which was the idea for the Mk1* so the liners could be removed easily.
    But they both have the Mk1 chin straps which are pretty rare, only used for a short time in 1937.
    Whatever their use, they are very nice.

Pair of beauties you have there and certainly something differant going on with the rivets,I presume the shells have ww1 steel maker stamp marks visible?well done on your auction pickups..............

Very nice and thanks for showing

Matt

Thankyou for the replies, the shells are both marked MLS, 1x is numbered 14 and the other 36, I do think there must be some link with both of them having fractures, but would the liners have been WD stamped ? would they have not been issued to home front use, I can't recall having seen any other fractured Brodie type helmets.
    Regards
    Gary
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 2x WW1 Shells with Post War Liners   2x WW1 Shells with Post War Liners