Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

39 dated Tommy mkII with 38 dated liner

Article about: Army Combat helmets are khaki textured paint outside & smooth khaki inside, or on later army helmets dark brown textured paint. The majority of all smooth painted green, khaki or similar

?

Default Re: 39 dated Tommy mkII with 38 dated liner

Army Combat helmets are khaki textured paint outside & smooth khaki inside, or on later army helmets dark brown textured paint. The majority of all smooth painted green, khaki or similar colour were not used by the army.
    Aaron

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Army Combat helmets are khaki textured paint outside & smooth khaki inside, or on later army helmets dark brown textured paint. The majority of all smooth painted green, khaki or similar colour were not used by the army.
    Aaron
    Thanks Aaron for the prompt reply, though I thought -not always my strongest point- that the early war or pre war examples had a smooth shiny brownish colour paint on them like this one.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Most of the first army helmets used in WW2 were the MkI*, a lot of the first batch of MkII's went to the ARP, fire, police. If you've got loads of MkII helmets at home which are painted black for the ARP a lot of them would have been painted inside & out this shiny green colour first then over painted. F&L made loads of these shiny helmets which me included thought were army helmets, well there not.
    Here's some pics of what a true army helmet should look like.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HELMET BANK 4 836_1280x853.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	149.4 KB 
ID:	395336   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HELMET BANK 4 838_1280x853.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	122.4 KB 
ID:	395337  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HELMET BANK 4 840_1280x853.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	131.6 KB 
ID:	395338   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HELMET BANK 4 841_1280x853.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	395339  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HELMET BANK 4 842_1280x853.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	160.4 KB 
ID:	395340  

Great info Aaron i was reading up on my AFS lid regarding dates,and thats answered questions i needed to know,regards minnie.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12