Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Advice on purchasing a British Military MKII Helmet

Article about: Hi Guys At some stage in the near future I’m hoping to add a British WW2 Military issue MKII helmet to add to my collection of MKII home front helmets however there appears to be a lot of Ho

?

Default Advice on purchasing a British Military MKII Helmet

Hi Guys
    At some stage in the near future I’m hoping to add a British WW2 Military issue MKII helmet to add to my collection of MKII home front helmets however there appears to be a lot of Home Front MKII’s intentionally or unintentionally being wrongly labelled as military issue. Apart from holes drilled in the brim what other things do I need to look out for to confirm that a helmet was or was not military issue?

This might be a good thread for you to have a read through.
    The new ebay money maker
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

I think this is case for Tinlid-Man! He’ll come along

Re Home Front Helmets, a great Book has just come out..... :-)

When it comes to making that distinction, it's almost always going to come down to the paint. A military helmet will, generally, be painted a shade of olive green, either rough or smooth depending when it was made/issued. Rough textured finishes tend to be more common on mid-war helmets. Some Home Front lids were painted green, although that paint tends to be very glossy and reflective, which a military paintjob would not be.

If the helmet you're looking at has either a dull green or rough textured finish, and does not have holes drilled in the brim, chances are you're looking at a military example.

B.B.

?

When you find something you like/want, post some pictures up here, or PM one of us.
    I'm sure someone will make sure you get the right helmet you are after.

?

Cheers Guys
    Thanks for all the advice, yes I’ll definitely post pictures and get advice before I buy.

I could also recommend a good book which has just been released about Home Front helmets.... 'Helmets of The Home Front'... 300 pages packed full of illustrations and information. Contact 'Composite' for further details.

?

Checked out the website WW2 British Helmets, some nice examples for sale there. Set the wheels in motion for the purchase of “Helmets of the Home Front” looking forward to obtaining a copy.