Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

AFS Toronto helmet

Article about: hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this helmet that I picked up today. Its a standard Mk1 helmet, dated 1942 and made by G.S.W with A P over the date. The interesting thing i

Default AFS Toronto helmet

hi, I'm wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this helmet that I picked up today. Its a standard Mk1 helmet, dated 1942 and made by G.S.W with A P over the date. The interesting thing is that on the front, it is marked AFS with Toronto under. I know that the Canadians sent firemen over to help out in the blitzed cities - could this be one of their helmets? Over to you experts!

thanks DaveAttachment 657700

many thanks zwerge, thats interesting. I hadn't thought that it might have been used in Canada seeing as they weren't actually blitzed. I think that means the plot has just thickened! thanks, Dave

?

My dad was in the ARP,air raid patrol,and I seem to remember he had one marked ARP.We lived in Toronto then,but I was only 10 when the war ended so the memory is a little bit foggy.....Pete.
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

I have moved this to the correct section.

A very good helmet and as far as I am aware the Canadians issued ARP/AFS etc helmets and equipment for home front use, though thankfully they never needed them.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

thanks for that Pete, shows how narrow minded I am! I hadn't thought that it could have been used beyond our own shores. Dave

sorry Jerry, I'll get the hang of this in time. As I said to Pete, I hadn't thought it might have been used abroad. I didn't know that the Canadians used the same designations as us. You live and learn!

many thanks, Dave

Quote by rrickoshae View Post
    sorry Jerry, I'll get the hang of this in time. As I said to Pete, I hadn't thought it might have been used abroad. I didn't know that the Canadians used the same designations as us. You live and learn!

many thanks, Dave
    no worries Dave, I have moved your other helmet for you. The British section can be found further down the site page.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Nice lid Dave I have a hand painted flashed Mk II to the AFS NEW TORONTO in the post right now the 42 G.S.W. is rather a rare find in this configuration as it will be constructed from manganese steel instead of mild steel as seen on the G.S.W/D.P&H there were a batch of helmet bodies that were produced by G.S.W. in early 1942 that did not pass the final goverment inspection .
    The Dept of Pensions and Health were allowed to purchase 30.000 of these for use by the civil defence and the A.R.P. the A. P. batch code stamped in the helmet body denotes them for use for civil defence purposes only.

Regards Mark

Blimey, thats cracking Mark. Many thanks indeed. About the only thing you forgot to tell me was who the last owner!! A thought, do you think that this has somehow found its way over here since the war or would those Canadian firemen who came over to help us out have brought their helmets with them and perhaps left this one behind? Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast