Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

American helmet help

Article about: Hello,can anyone help with this helmet,believe it to be civil defense,but am unsure about insignia,I have searched the internet with no results...real or a bored youngster with a can of blac

?

Question American helmet help

Hello,can anyone help with this helmet,believe it to be civil defense,but am unsure about insignia,I have searched the internet with no results...real or a bored youngster with a can of black spray paint and an odd sticker?.Printed inside is PTL Edward Corrigan #9888 MT.Sqd#2.Any info is appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture American helmet help   American helmet help  

American helmet help  

Default re: American helmet help

Could the decal be a State seal?

?

Red face re: American helmet help

Had not thought of that obvious direction,me brainnot does work so good sometimes..Thanks for the suggestion john

yakswak
    ?

I would read it as Patrolman Edward Corrigan #9888 Mounted Squad #2.
    Possibly a Park Ranger, Mounted Police or Firefighter.
    I would say Mounted Firefighter.

?

I had also been thinking along those lines,I'll try the mounted firefighter route,Thanks for your input yakswak & Welcome to the forum,you'll find an extreme wealth of knowledge from all members.

?

The emblem on the front of the helmet is the seal of the city of NY, so it was probably used by the police reserve, which later became the auxillary police. It is a civil defense helmet and the blue paint and emblem were applied later. Whether it is official is unknown but the numbers inside appear to be a badge number. Firefighters are not patrolmen, and the helmet would be painted red.

?

I would venture a guess that this helmet is some sort of NY civilian service maybe civil defense or park service something of that nature. I would say that this dates back to the 40s era

?

Thank you denfly for taking the time and sharing your knowledge..I will be looking into the info you provided

?

Thank you gel65 for your input,it is greatly appreciated

?

Keep us informed on what you find out about it.