Become our sponsor and display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Another M1917A1

Article about: by SteveR Hex nuts are NOT what was used on the 1917a1. The post you referenced is by a person with 28 posts. Obviously he doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground. Any body that thin

Default Re: Another M1917A1

Quote by SteveR View Post
    Hex nuts are NOT what was used on the 1917a1.
    The post you referenced is by a person with 28 posts. Obviously he doesn't know his butt from a hole in the ground. Any body that thinks they were used by the US military is grossly misinformed.
    I know hex nuts were not standard. I have, however, seen them used on three other lids in addition to mine. all similar size and patina. I don't think its beyond the realm of possibility that hex nuts were used in place of domed nuts when required.

?

Default Re: Another M1917A1

Quote by instigator008 View Post
    I know hex nuts were not standard. I have, however, seen them used on three other lids in addition to mine. all similar size and patina. I don't think its beyond the realm of possibility that hex nuts were used in place of domed nuts when required.
    Buddy you definitly have not served in the US military. Rules and regs are just that. No exceptions. If you have seen 3 others with hex nuts then they were tinkered with after military use. If you are in the relm of possibilities, Which is a vauge mayby, and with no way to prove the assumption then you are wrong. It is more than likely that they were used by hard rock miners as saftey helmets. I am absolutely sure of this as I grew up in a hard rock mining town where this happened a lot.
    This leads me back to my original statement. A hex nut is not used during military service. There are other possibilities of post war surplus use. Surplus sales of military items such as helmets demands a change of the original issue condition. If you own one with a hex nut then it is not military issue. M1 surplus helmets have the chinstraps cut off before they are released for sale. Just an example.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12