Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Any good books on British helmets?

Article about: British helmets are new to me, and I wondered if anyone might have a title or 2 about collecting them that they could share with me? It would be very much appreciated. Thank you. Paul

Default Any good books on British helmets?

British helmets are new to me, and I wondered if anyone might have a title or 2 about collecting them that they could share with me? It would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

Paul

?

Default Re: Any good books on British helmets?

Paul,
    To my knowledge there is only one book dedicated to to British helmets 'Tin Hat For Tommy' by Tharston Press. IMO it isn't a very good book when you compare it with other helmet books and is sadly lacking in photos which results in lengthy descriptions where you almost need examples in front of you to understand.....but I definitely learnt a lot reading it.

I think there is one on e-bay at the moment.
    Steve.

?

There is also tin lids which is about Canadian helmets with a smattering of info about Brit lids. I know of 2 people who are doing books at the moment, if & when they do come out they will blow your mind with the info in them. So for now the best place to find out about Brit lids is here & other forums.
    Aaron

Thank you Steve and Aaron, I'll take a look for those 2. Mainly I want one nice example for another mannequin. I bought one that the dealer assured me was British, but it turns out iss Canadian. I have a list of manufacturers at least, so I have a better start than before lol, but it's always nice to know more.

Paul

NCA
    ?

Tins hats to composite helmets by M.Brayley has a good section on British helmets.Well worth it in my opinion.

?

Quote by Stinkpotpete View Post
    Thank you Steve and Aaron, I'll take a look for those 2. Mainly I want one nice example for another mannequin. I bought one that the dealer assured me was British, but it turns out iss Canadian. I have a list of manufacturers at least, so I have a better start than before lol, but it's always nice to know more.

Paul
    Well if your not sure about one you like, if you've got pictures post em up here & someone will tell you if it's good or not.

I was able to find Tin Hat for Tommy for 15 dollars on line and a Mk IV for 30 dollars, both from IMA. They advertise genuine British MkIIs , but they've been stripped and repainted and have repro liners, but the shells have WWII dates, so close, and yet so far. Has anyone had any dealings with IMA? They seem to have alot of reprpductions listed, or "rebuilt" with repro parts.

Oh, well, the next military show around here isn't until april, so I should be able to learn a few things by then from all the pictures and info here

?

If I were you I would wait until you find an original condition one, there are a few MkIIs on ebay at the moment, wait to see how much they go for and you can make a better informed decsion. I think that IMA will always have them avaialble so there is no rush. I bought my book from IMA, but haven't bought anything else, they seem up front with the fact they are offering refurbs so they aren't trying to rip you off.

Steve.

yes, I'm definately going to hold out for an original, and I've been looking on ebay, but there are so many variants and so many different conditions lol. I'll have more practice by the time the show gets here in april hehe thank you again

Paul