Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Argentinian M2 paratrooper helmet

Article about: by emileverbunt Hi all, This helmet I would call a M1C not a M2. The helmets shown have flexible bales. The war time M2 was equiped with large fixed bales with the shape of a letter C (nothi

Smile Argentinian M2 paratrooper helmet

Hi this my first post,
    Here i have an Argentinian M2 paratrooper helmet

The first picture is of the outside, second the inner!

I picked this helmet up last year from a mate at work, he had found it stuffed in the bottom of his wardrobe, where it had sat since 1982, so he sold it to me. And now it is mine,all mine!!!

I know quite3 a bit of history behind it e.g. he told me he "rescued" it from Port Stanley, it's original owner was in the 4th Airborne Artillery group, and this helmet was in the battle of goose green and wireless ridge(i believe).

sorry about the qaulity of the pictures( i hope they actually attach when post this, not to good with this kind of thing!)

Feel free to comment
    Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argentinian M2 paratrooper helmet   Argentinian M2 paratrooper helmet  

Default Re: Argentinian M2 paratrooper helmet

Hello: are there any inscrption into the helmet?
    regards

Daniel

Quote by hard hat diver View Post
    Hello: are there any inscrption into the helmet?
    regards

Daniel
    Hi Daniel.

Thanks for looking,and for your enquiry.

The only Markings on this Helmet,are H8 in yellow chalk.

And possibly a name in the sweat band.

Please see the attached photo's.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Argentinian M2 paratrooper helmet   Argentinian M2 paratrooper helmet  

Godoy is certainly an Argentinian name so theres a good start

Quote by gaz232sqn View Post
    Hi Daniel.

Thanks for looking,and for your enquiry.

The only Markings on this Helmet,are H8 in yellow chalk.

And possibly a name in the sweat band.

Please see the attached photo's.
    Hello Gaz:
    The only one group of Argentinian paratroopers fighting in the islands was the GAA4 or "Grupo de Artilleria Aerotransportado 4" (4th Airborne Artillery Group).
    The inscription on the sweatband correspond to the last name from a NCO (Sargento Ayudante Godoy).
    Lamentably no man with this name figure in the records of the GAA4, therefore your helmet no has chance to have been in the fight. I am sorry.
    regards

Daniel

PS: this is my GAA4 M2 para helmet from the war from the soldier Enrique Daniel Zarate, still alive!!

Argentinian M2 paratrooper helmet   Argentinian M2 paratrooper helmet  

Hello Gaz:
    The only one group of Argentinian paratroopers fighting in the islands was the GAA4 or "Grupo de Artilleria Aerotransportado 4" (4th Airborne Artillery Group).
    The inscription on the sweatband correspond to the last name from a NCO (Sargento Ayudante Godoy).
    Lamentably no man with this name figure in the records of the GAA4, therefore your helmet no has chance to have been in the fight. I am sorry.
    regards

Daniel

PS: this is my GAA4 M2 para helmet from the war from the soldier Enrique Daniel Zarate, still alive!!
    Hi Daniel.

Thank you for this info, I am pleased that ,I can put a name and rank to this helmet,but it definetely came from the Falklands/Malvinas. Maybe my mate,picked up a helmet with the ,internal parts mixed up, e.g. Maybe the sweat band is from another M1,I will never know?

I will speak to him,next time I see him.

But again thank's a lot,for identifying the owner of this Helmet, I hope he is still alive

And I really like your Helmet,it is a very nice collectable piece

BTW- I have another Argentinian M1 helmet, with a name inside,I was wondering if you could, Identify this one ,for me, I would really appreciate it.

Please see the attached Pictures.

Argentinian M2 paratrooper helmet   Argentinian M2 paratrooper helmet  

Quote by bikerboyzx6r View Post
    Godoy is certainly an Argentinian name so theres a good start
    Hi Dan.

I had no idea's about the name at all,but thanks to Daniel, I now have a name and a rank.

Thanks for looking mate

Hello Gaz:
    glad I was useful for you. The M2 Para Helmet is defined by the liner, because the suspension system make the diference with the M1, the steel pot is the same for both model , therefore, your liner was not in the war.
    Your M1 helmet was made in Argentina and is designed as "casco de acero modelo NATO FM" (steel helmet model NATO and FM mean: Fabricaciones Militares, the arms factory of the Ejercito Argentino).
    The name in the label mean: Sargento Primero David Obregon, and "RI 5" could be "Regimiento Infanteria 5" but no records for this soldier in the veteran list.
    The "RI 5 GENERAL FELIX de OLAZABAL” is an historical regiment, created 29th May 1810 at Paso de Los Libres , Corrientes.

IMO your M1 could be a post war helmet.
    Please note, that all the helmets used in combat in the islands has the liner straps very dirty, see my sample, and really very salty. Yours are in good shape and are suspect.
    I hope that was helpful!
    Regards

Daniel

PD: this is the link to search for the veterans: :: Ministerio de Defensa - República Argentina ::

Hi all,

This helmet I would call a M1C not a M2. The helmets shown have flexible bales.

The war time M2 was equiped with large fixed bales with the shape of a letter C (nothing to do with M1C). The bales easily broke off, therefore these M2 helmets were not used after the war by any nation as far as I know.

Cheers,
    Emile

Hello Gaz:
    glad I was useful for you. The M2 Para Helmet is defined by the liner, because the suspension system make the diference with the M1, the steel pot is the same for both model , therefore, your liner was not in the war.
    Your M1 helmet was made in Argentina and is designed as "casco de acero modelo NATO FM" (steel helmet model NATO and FM mean: Fabricaciones Militares, the arms factory of the Ejercito Argentino).
    The name in the label mean: Sargento Primero David Obregon, and "RI 5" could be "Regimiento Infanteria 5" but no records for this soldier in the veteran list.
    The "RI 5 GENERAL FELIX de OLAZABAL” is an historical regiment, created 29th May 1810 at Paso de Los Libres , Corrientes.

IMO your M1 could be a post war helmet.
    Please note, that all the helmets used in combat in the islands has the liner straps very dirty, see my sample, and really very salty. Yours are in good shape and are suspect.
    I hope that was helpful!
    Regards

Daniel

PD: this is the link to search for the veterans: :: Ministerio de Defensa - República Argentina ::
    Hi Daniel.

Thanks agian for this fantastic information, I got David Obregon's helmet off Ebay last year,which was sat in a British Veterans club house,since the 80's ( or so I was told !!!)

Again it is great that I can,put a name and rank to this one.

The link is of great help, without your assistance ,I would not have known of it's existance.

The help you have given ,is brilliant ,so thank's again, at least now I know of the helmets true history

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast