Become our sponsor and display your banner here

Attaching a chinstrap to a Canadian MK helmet?

Article about: Hello, all! I received an unissued chinstrap for Christmas to put on my Canadian helmet. I can't seem to figure out how to attach it. Can anyone offer any suggestions? This is the exact chin

Default Attaching a chinstrap to a Canadian MK helmet?

Hello, all!

I received an unissued chinstrap for Christmas to put on my Canadian helmet. I can't seem to figure out how to attach it. Can anyone offer any suggestions?

This is the exact chinstrap that I now have:
    Military Antiques, Military Collectibles and Militaria British Tommy Helmet Chin Strap: WWII IMA-USA.COM

HAPPY HOLIDAYS!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1746.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	246.8 KB 
ID:	282836Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1750.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	250.0 KB 
ID:	282833

?

Default Re: Attaching a chinstrap to a Canadian MK helmet?

Gizmo does your new strap have the rings attached to either end of the strap.

Regards Mark K
    Always on the look out for WW II Canadian Helmets and Cam nets to add to my collection.

Found a Canadian Mk II Medics Helmet and yes I know they are about as rare as hens teeth !!!!!

Hi Mark, yes it does. However, they are very thick and do not fit into the attached bales of the helmet.

?

On the chin strap lugs on the helmet, just slightly open it a bit & slide the brass ring on the end of the strap into it then push it shut again. Just need a screw driver.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    On the chin strap lugs on the helmet, just slightly open it a bit & slide the brass ring on the end of the strap into it then push it shut again. Just need a screw driver.
    That's what I thought! I'll do that now. I didn't want to force anything and end up breaking my helmet.

THANKS GUYS!

Pry a little bit...don't push with the screwdriver. I watched a buddy nearly put the screwdriver through his hand while installing a strap on a MKII.

?

I put three chinstraps on my Canadian helmets. I did use a screwdriver but very carefully. There is no real need to bend the bracket back much. I just used a small one to lift out the bracket sufficiently to clip in the loop. If you bend it out too much, you'll have difficulty in getting it back and the strap keeps falling off. A lesson learned previously.

I got the job done. At first I was trying to force it too much. All I had to do, as you guys said, was pry it a little.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	british helmet.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	23.2 KB 
ID:	283559