Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Aussie MkII Jungle Camo

Article about: Heres my latest buy,a little Chrissy present for myself Australian 1942 MkII Jungle Camo attributed to Anti Aircraft Gunner Crew in New Guinea. Unfortunately the Liner is shot and shows a lo

Default Aussie MkII Jungle Camo

Heres my latest buy,a little Chrissy present for myself

Australian 1942 MkII Jungle Camo attributed to Anti Aircraft Gunner Crew in New Guinea.
    Unfortunately the Liner is shot and shows a lot of wear.
    The photos are not great and it is not as bright as it seems,the paint is definately old and thick.
    Ive been searching and searching for any period pics to compare it with but cant find any,so i have to assume that it was field done and uncommon as all Aussie Camo's are anyway
    Cheers Mick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Aussie MkII Jungle Camo   Aussie MkII Jungle Camo  

Aussie MkII Jungle Camo   Aussie MkII Jungle Camo  

A rough and ready paint job on this Mick, very interesting to see it, and not one I can comment on as I have never seen another like it.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

Sorry Mick but i'm not convinced that is WW2 era camo, it looks like it's been painted over rust!..

I am inclined to agree with Gunny, looks like someone has tried to spice up a civil defence helmet. Under the green camo parts there is both black and khaki, it looks like the green was applied after the black layer already had some wear as the khaki is visible.

Cheers
    Harry

Although it pains me to admit it,i think you gentlemen may be correct.
    The photos that were shown when sold were not good,and i thought i might take a chance and see it in hand.Should have known too with lack of interest from other bidders and low price.
    At least its an authentic period lid and if i put a couple of dabs of red paint on it,i could wear it on Christmas Day.

Hi Mick, I am sorry to have to agree with Gunny and Harry. Using my "experience" with Third Reich cammo's, I personally would not be at all happy with this being period applied paint. As the chaps have said, there is a hell of a lot of wear underneath the green over paint. That wear is also old and established, with pitting/scratches and rust. At least it was cheap and it may be worth trying to strip it back to a plain black lid. Leon.