Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Australian MkII helmet for review

Article about: Hello, Here are some pictures of my Australian MkII helmet with chin strap lugs dated 1942. It was given to me by my father in law who bought it from a garage sale for the princely sum of \\$1

?

Default Australian MkII helmet for review

Hello,

Here are some pictures of my Australian MkII helmet with chin strap lugs dated 1942. It was given to me by my father in law who bought it from a garage sale for the princely sum of $10. It has a couple of dings, the liner is pretty beat up and came with what I think is a homemade post war chin strap but I can't complain for the price. The inner rim of the shell is marked 2251 but I cant find any other markings apart from the chin strap lugs. I bought the replacement chin strap and net online. They were sold as WW2 original with the net being Australian but I don't know enough about them to tell if they are repo - any opinions would be appreciated. The last three photos are the strap that came with it.

Thanks
    Alex
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Australian MkII helmet for review   Australian MkII helmet for review  

Australian MkII helmet for review   Australian MkII helmet for review  

G'day Alex,
    Looks like a nicely textured shell there, very nice from what I can see. I'm not an expert on netting but it could be right?(I have only one Aust example) The chin strap is British and the wrong type, but still works for me. not sure what the strap is for though.

?

Thanks Rene, I would like to find an Australian chin strap to add to it. Do you have photos of any so I know what to look for?

Alex

Sure here's one of mine I could quickly find

?

A very nice Australian issue Mk II helmet I have yet to add one to my collection.
    I am afraid I can not help on the net much but here are a couple of links you may find of interest .
    (War Office Pattern - The Brodie Helmet and its derivatives )
    (British & Canadian nets & netted helmets) which I should add have a few examples of Australian nets and or references material related to such.

Regards Mark K
    Last edited by Mark K; 11-15-2013 at 07:01 AM. Reason: Add information

?

Thanks Rene and Mark. Is the only difference between the British and Australian chin straps the type of material between the springs?

?

For $10 you can't go wrong, net is probably a wartime one, while the chin strap is WW2 it is for home front use.

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    For $10 you can't go wrong, net is probably a wartime one, while the chin strap is WW2 it is for home front use.
    I agree, net could be wartime, and chinstrap is a home front version but is period issued.
    $10 is a great price, and that liner isn't too beat up.
    Excellent score Alex!

Brad.

?

Thanks for your comments. I'm happy with it. Now I'll just have to hunt down an aussie strap. It does look good in my slowly growing helmet wall.

Alex

AIF
    ?

Good score on the helmet mate... I think I still have an old Aussie chinstrap around here somewhere you can have it if I can find it, Its not as good as the one that is on it though but it is an Aussie one.

Cheers,
    Luke.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast