Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

"B" Type

Article about: Anyone snag this extremely rare prototype "B" type Brodie ? Best one I have ever seen. Super clear stamp and factory camouflage

SMP
    ?

Default "B" Type

Anyone snag this extremely rare prototype "B" type Brodie ? Best one I have ever seen. Super clear stamp and factory camouflage
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture "B" Type   "B" Type  

"B" Type   "B" Type  

?

Although I'm out of my depth regarding ww1 helmets, being so rare, and dare I say rather crude looking in its manufacture.
    It does have a certain charm, and no doubt the price would match it's rarity.

SMP
    ?

Thanks, Aaron. I need to point out that this is the "rarest" Brodie ever to be seen on this ( or any other !) forum. It is the same as the one in the IWM that is considered to be the first ever Brodie . However, this one is more complete than the IWM example. Note the thin black loops holding the solid white rubber buffers. Note the prototype chinstrap with retaining loop that is missing from the IWM example, and not found on later "B" types. Note the rivet holding the chinstrap bale. Note the factory camouflage as stated in the original Brodie patent, Note, also the liner stamp that clearly states "patent applied for" and "War Office Pattern" all on one stamp. This means the text books need re-writing.

I truly hope the helmet has been bought by a deserving collector. It is British heritage

?

Wow, yes I'm glad I replied, although in ignorance.
    I do remember seeing the camo on early ones, especially on your nice early one with the hessian cover.
    What I noticed was the rivet on the chin strap lug, not the usual split rivet.
    A rare beast.

SMP
    ?

Sold for £4200, but I believe it would have fetched much more had more advanced collectors seen it. Sadly it illustrates the chasm between British and TR militaria. £4200 wouldn't even buy you a nice FJ helmet, and there were 100's of thousands of them made