MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

beach master helmet

Article about: Hi guys this arrived today, but has it a chance at being genuine or postwar pimped up ? the liner and shell are both dated 1944 so if pimped they found a correct year helmet to do it to, all

?

Default beach master helmet

Hi guys this arrived today, but has it a chance at being genuine or postwar pimped up ? the liner and shell are both dated 1944 so if pimped they found a correct year helmet to do it to, all opinions welcomed cheers Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture beach master helmet   beach master helmet  

beach master helmet   beach master helmet  

beach master helmet  

?

beach master helmet

Sorry but I feel this is fake painting, they used the letters not the words on Beach helmets, also the white band did not go all the way around, the Letters were on the front in white, so the white band ended on either side of the Letters.
    Last but not least, I have never seen this type of helmet used for the Beach Group, all the photos and originals I have seen show them wearing the Standard Mk11.

Now I may be wrong, however my D-Day Referance books also shows this for Canadian Troops, and I am sure the British did the same thing.
    Just My Thoughts

Dean O
    Canada

Was this on the bay? I think I saw it and decided to pass as it did not look all period done to me. All the beach master helmets I remember seeing in pictures are MKII's
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

thank you both very much , I saw it on ebay and quite fancied it being purportedly from dday, but now its going back , thanks again guys rgds Dave

?

Not a Problem, glad we could help.

Dean o

I'm not so keen on this one either. I'll try to explain my doubts; If we suppose this is purported to originate with the D Day landings and therefore Operation Neptune (the sea bourne element of Overlord) we are considering by default the various beach parties that managed movement on the beaches and the exits from them. These included; RN Beach Commandos, Army Beach Groups and RAF Beach Units all co-operating and or integrating to differing degrees.
    The RN Beach Commandos and RAF Beach units wore helmets of the relevant service shade of blue and it is I think very unlikely that they wore anything other than MkII helmets. So, this helmet being green would I suppose relate to an Army Beach Unit who by 1944 should be using MkIII helmets so that part is right except I have never seen a marked example of a MkIII only marked motorcyclist helmets and then usually CMP personnell used by Army Beach Groups. Also as mentioned above the markings on this one seem at odds with British (and CW for that matter) marking policy. I know from my own experience (a long time post war but it is still the same now!) that the military will always use abbreviated designations if at all possible unless the marking is intended to be read outside the military environment which on D Day was clearly not the case. Furthermore any such markings are without exception effected with stencils or decals. If it were neccessary to mark anything "freehand" I think it unlikely such an untidy standard would be tollerated and then of course we go back to the abbreviation issue.

I would love to be proved wrong here firstly because that would mean you have a good piece there but also it would be a learning experience for me at least. For now though this looks to me like the "post war pimping" you mention spoiling a decent MkIII.

Regards

Mark

?

Although undoubtedly there must have been slight variations in markings on beach groups, I've never seen one on a Mk3.
    It does look fake to me, but I wonder if they had beach groups post war or whether when the war ended so did the B.G's?
    Here's a picture of the 1943 Sicily invasion.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture beach master helmet   beach master helmet  

beach master helmet  

Hi, sadly I agree with all that's been said above. This is not a D-Day Beach Masters helmet. A real shame that a good original 1944 dated lid has been ruined like this. Leon.

SMP
    ?

Hmm.... looks like repainted and "pimped". Probably had a post-war paint-job before the "artist" got to it. Hope you can return it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast