Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Beginner collector looking for information on this helmet

Article about: I've been told what I have here is a Canadian helmet but that's as much as I know. It looks like it's had more than a couple coats of paint put on it. Any information, including who would ha

?

Default Beginner collector looking for information on this helmet

I've been told what I have here is a Canadian helmet but that's as much as I know. It looks like it's had more than a couple coats of paint put on it.

Any information, including who would have worn it would be appreciated.

It's an early war helmet, as indicated by the rivet securing the liner to the shell. The chinstrap is an earlier one too.

You'd need to find some markings to determine when it was made, and by whom. The shell markings are usually next to one of the chinstrap bales, and the liner markings will be on the inside, on the cross-shaped part that rests against the inside of the dome. The shell markings can be very faint, especially with extra coats of paint on top of the factory coat. Some manufacturers stamp them elsewhere, so you may have to look over the whole inner brim to find them.

Regards, B.B.

?

The cruciform pad does look Canadian, there will be an maker initials and date on one of the four arms of the liner. There will also be the same on inside brim, but hard to see maybe with coats of paint.

?

I'll take a look and see what kind of markings I can find.

When you say "early war helmet", what era would that be considered?

Quote by JL81 View Post
    I'll take a look and see what kind of markings I can find.

When you say "early war helmet", what era would that be considered?
    It's from personal experience, but I tend to find most helmets with the larger liner rivet date from around 1938-1939. A closer inspection of any markings will tell you for sure.

B.B.

....but PLEASE don't start stripping paint to find stamps....I HATE THAT!!! ;-)

?

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    It's from personal experience, but I tend to find most helmets with the larger liner rivet date from around 1938-1939. A closer inspection of any markings will tell you for sure.

B.B.
    Canadian helmets had either a large round high rivet or a wide flat rivet and from the helmets I have there doesn't seem to be a correlation of date so if this is a Canadian it could be anything from 1940 to 1944.

Quote by M.E.E. View Post
    Canadian helmets had either a large round high rivet or a wide flat rivet and from the helmets I have there doesn't seem to be a correlation of date so if this is a Canadian it could be anything from 1940 to 1944.
    Thanks for the correction. I only have British helmets to refer to, thus the mistake.

B.B.