Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

BMB Helmet

Article about: Hi guys, we've had this helmet in our possession for years now. But we have no idea what it is (besides the obvious). Can anyone help identify exactly... Thanks again!

johns
    ?

Default BMB Helmet

Hi guys, we've had this helmet in our possession for years now. But we have no idea what it is (besides the obvious). Can anyone help identify exactly...

Thanks again!

BMB HelmetBMB HelmetBMB HelmetBMB HelmetBMB HelmetBMB Helmet

Hi, and welcome to the forum, the helmet is a British mkII helmet, as used by British and commonwealth forces during the Second World War. The manufacturer BMB is Briggs Motor Bodies. There should be a size and date stamp inside the liner on one of the cross section pieces.

Cheers
    Harry

?

It's a Mk2 No.2C, 3 holes in the brim to donate that this helmet was only to be used on the home front.
    Being textured khaki green paint means this was used by someone in the home guard.
    Nice helmet.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    It's a Mk2 No.2C, 3 holes in the brim to donate that this helmet was only to be used on the home front.
    Are the 3 holes there because it is of inferior quality for front line forces?

Cheers
    Harry

johns
    ?

Thanks for the info, I've found the date and size and surprisingly in good condition! Size 7, 11 - 1940. My parents were ready to throw it out but I said it might be worth something!

Quote by Harry Davey View Post

Cheers
    Harry
    I think so Harry but i'm no expert!...

Quote by Harry Davey View Post

Cheers
    Harry
    Yeah pretty much that.

Quote by johns View Post
    My parents were ready to throw it out but I said it might be worth something!
    Nice save, definitely it's historical worth is priceless.

Harry

?

During 1940 into mid 1941 there was a shortage of helmets due to losses & the expansion of the ARP, Police & fire service. So using the inferior quality Mk2 No.2's for home front use where ballistic properties was not needed helped fill that void. While the armed forces carried on using the Mk2 No.1.
    When the shortfall had been met in mid 41 the No.1's were again issued to the home guard & other home front services.
    No.2's ABC & D = 1-4 holes in the brim,there was also the raw edge BMB dated 1941 & Mk1* with an M painted inside that were only used on the home front.

Welcome to the forum, the chaps have said it all, nice helmet Leon.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast