Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Brit MKII – Dutch Civil Defense Helmet?

Article about: Some of you may have seen this on Ebay recently, when I looked at it the chin strap caught my eye. If I recall it was used by the Dutch on their CD helmets, designed to release when a certai

Default Brit MKII – Dutch Civil Defense Helmet?

Some of you may have seen this on Ebay recently, when I looked at it the chin strap caught my eye. If I recall it was used by the Dutch on their CD helmets, designed to release when a certain amount of pressure was applied (presumably an explosion), so that they didn’t get their necks snapped, or something of that nature. The shell had Brit MKII marking and I believe I read someplace that post-war, the Dutch did re-issue some of their wartime MKIIs to the CD role along with their own MKII clones. Believing this to be Dutch, re-issued MKII, I bid, won and now need to figure out exactly what it is we have here before I can give to my son.

Can anyone corroborate any of this or do I have it all wrong?

The shell is painted grey and looks to be a good repaint. It has a red vulcanized rubber liner frame with no markings of any type, that I can find. I’ve seen a couple of these in photos but can’t find any info on them. It is also void of the cross cushion in the crown, assuming it should have one. The nut was loose so I took it apart so I could inspect and photograph better.

The shell is pretty clearly marked and looks to read 42EC&Co Ltd for E Camelinat & Co Ltd, who made MKII shells from 1939-1942 from what I can tell. I could find no other markings The liner nut and screw I do not believe are correct nor is one of the chin strap metal loops. Heck, maybe the whole thing is a mess, I’m not sure, but for less than $20 bucks I took a shot that I was picking up a decent reissued MKII, Dutch CD helmet or something of that nature.

Not a lot of info on these that I can find. Any ideas?

I’ve really grown a liking to these early Brit helmets, lots of history to them.

Russ
    Last edited by MySonsDad; 07-23-2011 at 12:00 AM.

Default Re: Brit MKII – Dutch Civil Defense Helmet?

Hi Russ, here is a link for you, albeit in Spanish:

HOLANDS MK2

Cheers, Ade.

?

Hi Russ,
    It's a WW2 British shell with what looks like a dutch liner & chin strap. Google brodie helmets & its derivatives, click on netherlands, click the helmet & all the info you want will be there.
    Aaron

Thanks guys, it looks like my assumptions were correct and this is in fact a British MKII, early war Dutch issue that was post war repainted, re-lined and then reissued as a Dutch CD Helmet. Looks like even the brass nut and bolt might be correct, just missing the crown piece. Many other threads I have read, regarding the Dutch CD helemts also indicate that the crown piece is missing on thier examples, I wonder if they were left off during production.

Ade, that web site is alway my first visit for any helmet info but for some reason, that past couple of days, I can not get google to translate to english, not sure what is going on.

Thanks again,

Russ

As stated correctly before. It is an ex Dutch Army MkII that was reissued to the Civil Defense organisation in the early fifties. These helmets were redone with a new grey paintjob a new liner, mostly unmarked, and a new chinstrap. Sometimes a copy of the elastic British one, but most have the Dutch "arrow head buckle", that is also used on the Dutch cpy of the M1; the M53. The cross piece should be present, but rarely is due to the inferior quality of this piece. Most have crumbled away over the years.

Cheers,
    Emile

Thanks Emile for further validation on this helmet. I think it is a really neat lid, just hope the kids thinks the same. I'm guessing the cross piece would be next to impossible to find and I don't think it would be correct to put an original MKII piece in its place so I'll probably just leave alone.

Thanks again guys for the info.......now I've got to go find and SA MKII!

Russ