Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British 1st pattern AFV steel helmet

Article about: Hi, Do the 4 bolts around the rim also hold the liner in, in some way? I would'nt have thought they would have left the 4 bolts in doing nothing.

Default British 1st pattern AFV steel helmet

Hi Guys, as I mentioned this pattern of helmet in another thread I thought that I would show an example here. Sadly, I do not own this one. But I had the pleasure of examining this one in detail at the museum where it is on display.

Please read the label which tells the story behind this helmet.

Cheer, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British 1st pattern AFV steel helmet   British 1st pattern AFV steel helmet  

British 1st pattern AFV steel helmet  

?

Default Re: British 1st pattern AFV steel helmet

I was beginning to think that they did'nt exist, shame you can't see how the liner is fixed to the helmet. thanks very much for showing.

I saw one sell a couple of months ago and it was a fair price, £175, I recall correctly?

Cheers, Ade.

Pictured below is my AFV helmet. You can see that the liner is attached to the helmet with a brass bolt through the crown. This helmet is the same shape as the para. helmet and are used to make replica para helmets. I suppose they must fill in the bolt hole. I can find no date marks. John.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British 1st pattern AFV steel helmet   British 1st pattern AFV steel helmet  

Hi John, thanks for the pics.

This one is actually the second pattern AFV lid, which lacks the flared out lip on which the fibre band sits. This one has the steel band around the edge too like found on the later third pattern Airborne helemt.

Cheers, Ade.

Hi Ade
    I have something similiar , but i don't know if it's a AFV or RAC lid, and i don't know what the diference is!

Its got a lift the dot liner dated 1952, and the lid itself is dated ROC 1955.

With a non-standard chin cup, i got from a navy surplus store, who sold it to me as a Para Helmet,( well i was young and gullible back then!!)

Hope you can help!

Cheers
    Gaz

British 1st pattern AFV steel helmet   British 1st pattern AFV steel helmet  

?

Hi, AFV armoured fighting vehicle, RAC royal armoured corp. these helmets are the latter really, I think the lift the dot RAC helmets came in 1945. Before that they had a single nut & bolt like the standard british helmet. Don't know what the fibre rim RAC helmets had to fix the liner in? nut & bolt on the top & probably the 4 around the rim like the para helmets. Hope to find out 1 day.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Hi, AFV armoured fighting vehicle, RAC royal armoured corp. these helmets are the latter really, I think the lift the dot RAC helmets came in 1945. Before that they had a single nut & bolt like the standard british helmet. Don't know what the fibre rim RAC helmets had to fix the liner in? nut & bolt on the top & probably the 4 around the rim like the para helmets. Hope to find out 1 day.
    Hi,

Thanks, mate , i had this one for years and know i know the difference.... good info.

Cheers
    Gaz

SMP
    ?

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    Hi Guys, as I mentioned this pattern of helmet in another thread I thought that I would show an example here. Sadly, I do not own this one. But I had the pleasure of examining this one in detail at the museum where it is on display.

Please read the label which tells the story behind this helmet.

Cheer, Ade.
    Hi Ade,
    That's a very rare helmet. Thanks for showing it. Which museum is it in ?

Regards,
    Steve

SMP
    ?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    I was beginning to think that they did'nt exist, shame you can't see how the liner is fixed to the helmet. thanks very much for showing.

I can see a cross in the crown. Looks like it is held in by a bolt on top.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast