Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast

British & Canadian nets & netted helmets

Article about: Just thought I'd put up a mish mash of WW2 British & Canadian nets, hopefully all wartime. The early war nets 1941 being the first year they were worn (maybe right maybe not?) are quite

?

British helmet, net looks a bit thin to be a wartime net.

?

I was able to buy this 2 tone Canadian net this week locally. It fits my MkII perfectly, I tried it on a MkIV and it will not fit and I tried it on a M1 but it only has about 1cm around the rim extra. It has a 2 tone string (that is really really long) and has that great old military gear smell. I was wondering about the scrim, I know that the burlap could be from anytime but any help with the oil cloth would be appreciated.

British & Canadian nets & netted helmetsBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmetsBritish & Canadian nets & netted helmets

?

The early British woven, and first knotted nets are about 16"x16", they fit the Mk2 and P-types ok, but do struggle to fit the Mk3. That's why later nets were 18"x18", and would fit the Mk3 and the US M1.
    Thanks for adding.

Good info Aaron i never knew the earlier woven types were smaller?there you go i've learnt something new today.!

?

Thank you Tinlind for that information, I ended up breaking out a tape measure and found it was 18" so I looked closer and found that the strings had been knotted and looped to make it fit a smaller size better. Unknotted it fits the other helmets. Appreciate the knowledge.

?

Here are my ww2 early woven nets (good luck with your necks)

First one is nice deep green color on a canadian helmet, this is early woven type with "small" mesh
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British & Canadian nets & netted helmets   British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

Woven type with original scrim on a MKII helmet, deep green colour with "larger" mesh
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British & Canadian nets & netted helmets   British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

Beautiful tan/green coloured early woven net with "small" mesh

This one is also the tan/green colored early woven net with "larger" mesh and lots of original scrim

Page 17 of 34 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 27 ... LastLast