Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast

British & Canadian nets & netted helmets

Article about: Just thought I'd put up a mish mash of WW2 British & Canadian nets, hopefully all wartime. The early war nets 1941 being the first year they were worn (maybe right maybe not?) are quite

This is also a woven type of net but different as it has a small thread woven into it. Tan /green colored.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British & Canadian nets & netted helmets   British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

This one is same type and colour as above but with original scrim
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British & Canadian nets & netted helmets   British & Canadian nets & netted helmets  

Now here are my knotted nets:
    First one with very large mesh and scrim originally to the Airborne MKII helmet

Tan / green knotted net with small mesh

Two tone knotted Canadian net

At the recent War & Peace Revival Show I have bought these helmet nets. I don't know much about this subject so I'm hoping anyone can confirm they are WW2-era at least? The Mk.II helmet in all pics is the same one and is only used to show the nets.

#1 seems to have some sort of sniper face veil (or very ineffective sun protection for the neck ). The original colour seems to have been green, faded to brownish on the outside. The size of the fading, the size of the string and the location of the 2 'knots' on the sides (see 2nd pic) all indicate it was worn over a Mk.II helmet. I have never seen a helmet net with a face veil though? Mesh size is approx. 20 x 10 mm and the material is soft and quite big, almost like wool.

#2 has a lot of holes along where the edge of a Mk.II would be. It feels a bit stiff (like it has been treated with some chemical) and the colour is kahki. The mesh size is approx. 10 x 10 mm.

#3 is a bit greener that # 2 and not as stiff. It has no drawstring but seems the be the correct size for a Mk.II helmet. Mesh size is approx. 15 x 15 mm.

#4 has only remnants of a drawstring but is the correct size for a Mk.II helmet. The colour is khaki-green and the mesh size is approx. 15 x 15 mm but the material is significantly thicker than # 2 & 3.

#5 could have been cut from a face veil/shawl and is khaki in colour. Mesh size is approx. 7 x 7 mm and overall size is correct for a Mk.II helmet.

#6 is the same as #4 in material, colour and size.

Any comments would be most welcome!

?

You have a nice collection of nets Reinoudmilitary, thanks for adding.

?

Earlymb, don't think I've seen a net like yours with a built in face veil. Is it WW2 or post, or even British. But thanks for showing it, and your others.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Earlymb, don't think I've seen a net like yours with a built in face veil. Is it WW2 or post, or even British. But thanks for showing it, and your others.
    I have no idea if it is or even what the others are, I hoped someone here could tell me more about them?

?

Your no 2 looks like a ww2 one, size 16"x16"?
    The others I'm not sure about.

Page 18 of 34 FirstFirst ... 8 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 28 ... LastLast