Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British EXPERIMENTAL GLIDER PILOTS HELMET dated 1942

Article about: Experimental GLIDER PILOTS 1942 dated WD helmet constructed in four sections of hard leather & similar to the B Type flying helmet ,made by (J.M. Ltd 1942). These were subsequently issue

Default British EXPERIMENTAL GLIDER PILOTS HELMET dated 1942

Experimental GLIDER PILOTS 1942 dated WD helmet constructed in four sections of hard leather & similar to the B Type flying helmet ,made by (J.M. Ltd 1942). These were subsequently issued with c type ear cups. Helmet is identical but without the cups. Heavy padding to front of helmet and around face.
    Hope you like .
    steveBritish EXPERIMENTAL GLIDER PILOTS HELMET dated 1942British EXPERIMENTAL GLIDER PILOTS HELMET dated 1942British EXPERIMENTAL GLIDER PILOTS HELMET dated 1942British EXPERIMENTAL GLIDER PILOTS HELMET dated 1942

Default Re: British EXPERIMENTAL GLIDER PILOTS HELMET dated 1942

Very interesting helmet.
    Not one you see everyday.
    chris

?

I do like it. You are on a roll!

?

I think you'll find this is a despatch riders helmet for the NFS, unless it has inside stamped A.M,or airbourne.
    I have a helmet, crash, despatch rider,(rag pulp type) & it is stamped A.M with serial number. & there are pictures of the HCDR being used by training GP's. So mine might be a GP's helmet or it could be the RAF needed DR helmets for their despatch riders.
    Any markings inside to distinguish it from a DR to a GP helmet?

?

What is the dark sircle on the front?

I have inspected the version from this manurfacturer which incorporated ear cups and was issued to glider pilots. Both experimental and subsequent ear cup types are not stamped AM or AIRBOURNE....this is common place . As stated both helmets are identical by this manurfacturer ,with heavy padding to front in the event of front facial crash ...also reinforced cross hatched leather to top which indictive for this variety.

( This style of helmet by this maker has already been discussed in depth on other forums ....and thus it is not on here for identification !!...as I am certain what it is !! It is as stated a previously identified "Experimental "first type GLIDER PILOTS helmet...not a despatch riders helmet !!

The circle shadow on front ....I believe it was used as in a bike club post war !! and thus had a sticker on it..just needs cleaning up a tad !! ;-)
    all the best
    steve

?

Here's some pictures of women NFS despatch riders with leather helmets.
    Unless the helmets were altered in some way or marked for use by glider pilots then they are despatch riders helmets.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British EXPERIMENTAL GLIDER PILOTS HELMET dated 1942   British EXPERIMENTAL GLIDER PILOTS HELMET dated 1942  

...sorry still disagree with you mate...even para helmets are not marked with anything other than makers details and date ....a AM or Airbourne mark does not strictly indicate glider pilots issue .... if you have NFS helmet to hand you will note the absence of facial padding also it does not have padded front and side sections...if you can display one it would be appreciated !! ...... cheers steve

unmarked glider pilots helmet without AM stamps or anything indicating airborne...it is what it is ...sadly this isn't in my collection... this is identical to mine except for ear cups..which were a later addition.
    steveBritish EXPERIMENTAL GLIDER PILOTS HELMET dated 1942British EXPERIMENTAL GLIDER PILOTS HELMET dated 1942British EXPERIMENTAL GLIDER PILOTS HELMET dated 1942

yet again NOTE THE HEAVY PADDED AREA TO FRONT ....not much use in a bike crash !!

?

The first helmet you showed is exactly the same as mine, & I class it as a DR helmet. Heavy padding to the front of a helmet is a lot of use in a crash.
    The second helmet you showed with the ear cups,looks to be lined with chamois leather & with poppers on the outside for the attaching of the oxygen mask.
    Which makes it different to yours & my helmet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast