Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Firewatchers "Zuckerman" steel helmet

Article about: This was a steel helmet made for Firewatchers, Supplementary Fire Parties, etc. These were civilian volunteers who in evenings and nights after work would keep watch from rooftops for fires

Default British Firewatchers "Zuckerman" steel helmet

This was a steel helmet made for Firewatchers, Supplementary Fire Parties, etc. These were civilian volunteers who in evenings and nights after work would keep watch from rooftops for fires started by German incendary bombs.

They wore this special pattern steel helmet designed by Solly Zuckerman. Known as the CIVILIAN PROTECTIVE HELMET.

This example is maker marked JSS (John Sankey & Sons, Bilston) and dated 1941. It is size marked "M" for Medium.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Firewatchers "Zuckerman" steel helmet   British Firewatchers "Zuckerman" steel helmet  

British Firewatchers "Zuckerman" steel helmet  

Default re: British Firewatchers "Zuckerman" steel helmet

Hi ade,
    This type of helmet was very common when i was a boy inthe fifties,
    where i lived they were dumped in there hundreds, mountians of them.
    we used to knick them and scim them in the Thames and bomb them.
    If only we knew, there are scores of army helmets rotting by chiswick bridge,.
    panzer 3.

Hi Dave, thanks for the anecdote

These helmets were indeed common years ago. They are still not exactly rare, but I think make a good cheap addition to any British collection.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Ade,
    There is rumoured to be a CD store in the "North Cambridgeshire" area where there are 40,000 of these helmets stored for "use in a national emergency".

Gary J.

Reg
    ?

Perhaps they are storing them so 40,000 people at least have a pot to p{:s in when the end comes LOL, cant think they would be much use otherwise.

bodhranist
    ?

Thanks everyone. That seems to be it. A WW2 Civilian Firewatchers' helmet. Much obliged for all your help, and especially your pics etc Ade.

Bodhranist

More info can also be found here on this site written in Spanish. I have enclosed a translated link:

Google Translate

Cheers, Ade.