Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

British Helmet

Article about: Hello, I currently have a helmet given to me from my uncle from when he visited Britain. I was given this helmet long ago, but it was stored on the attic for years. I recently dug it out an

yes....but some, like Brit Home Front Helmets are more equal than others....... :-)

?

So chuffed I have read animal farm to get that reference

?

Quote by Jb4046 View Post
    Is all militaria created equally is an interesting thought I got from this.
    I have had this thought before and always justify it by saying it isn't period. I have been wanting a South African helmet and have seen many of these Greek repaints for cheaper than a SA but I get the dilemma do I want to add a post war repainted non period liner to my collection that is almost exclusively WW2 or earlier (I have 2 Canadian helmets painted 1952 with everything else manufactured 1942) even though the shell is war period. And then when do I stop, do I pick up a Belgian MKII RAC since it is almost the same helmet as a MKII RAC, a Swiss M48? I have decided in my mind if 3 of 4 components it will be good enough for my collection. Anyways just my thoughts

The dimple on top where the head of the liner screw falls in to usually points to a post-war Belgiam MK.II shell?

?

Quote by earlymb View Post
    The dimple on top where the head of the liner screw falls in to usually points to a post-war Belgiam MK.II shell?
    If the dimple was more deliberate then yes but you will find on Greek refurbished helmets that they would often have a sunken screw head like this also (lie they put it in and then hammered it down). The 3 holes on the back of the helmets is 100% a South African thing and I can not think of another country that made them like this. I attached a few pictures of standard Greek refurbished to show how the dent, the over paint like this one and liner. These all recently sold on ebay.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Helmet   British Helmet  

British Helmet  

Morning everyone,
    If you can be of help, I add some details of the Greek Mk2, in this case, it is an example of helmet Mk1 WW1 reconditioned a first time in the mid-30s for the British Army and again at the end of the 40s for the Greek Army.

Regards
    Roberto

British HelmetBritish HelmetBritish HelmetBritish HelmetBritish HelmetBritish Helmet

?

Helmet made by W. Beardmore &Co Ltd.

Last question about this helmet, but can you guys give me any info on these chinstrap lugs. Are these the clipped corners variant talked about in this thread:WW2 South African helmet

I am trying to get myself acquainted with Brodie helmets and want to know the ins and outs of them. Any info is appreciated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Helmet   British Helmet  

?

The Mk1 chin strap lugs were used on the Mk1* in 1938 for a short time, and were fixed by 9.5mm snaphead rivets.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Helmet  

?

The Mk2 chin strap lugs replaced the Mk1's in 1938, and also had the 9.5 rivets.
    These I'm sure are the type seen on Commonwealth Mk2 helmets like the, South African, Canadian, Australian and Newzealand.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast