Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

british helmet question

Article about: hi all ,ive owned this netted british mk11 for few years now but i was always intrigued by the paint remenants i could see through the netting so i decided very carefully to remove the netti

Default british helmet question

hi all ,ive owned this netted british mk11 for few years now but i was always intrigued by the paint remenants i could see through the netting so i decided very carefully to remove the netting then i unbolted the liner and unclipped the chinstrap by the way this is all easily reversed as i would never of touched otherwise anyway the paint finish of which i can only describe appears to be a thick mixture of sandy paint ,this got me then searching for a maker stamp of which i just cant find this could be due to the fact the inside brim has a lot of pock marked paint as though heat was applied at some point so then my next train of thought was if this was a british mk1 brodie refurbed and converted for ww2 period use ,i still dont know how to tell the difference shell wise between the 2 models but i believe there was an earlier raw edge model and a rimmed edge latter model from the info i gathered apparently you can rock the shell when placed flat on the floor mine rocked slightly from front to back ,the shape of the helmet is more oblong from a side view than from the front and on the inside the dome has a very slight rippled or fluted appearance from the rim upwards ,so i need your expert opinions guys on what i might have a mk1 or mk11, put me straight ,james british helmet questionbritish helmet questionbritish helmet questionbritish helmet questionbritish helmet questionbritish helmet questionbritish helmet questionbritish helmet questionbritish helmet questionbritish helmet questionbritish helmet questionbritish helmet question

Default Re: british helmet question

col,I think its a mk1 brodie not the later type.

Pretty much a standard Mk II, the bowl shape is a dead give away when contrasted to the Mk I.

I learn.

some light reading on the topic Mk.II - The Brodie Helmet and its derivatives

?

The chin strap lugs on your helmet are the Mk3's which started to be used on the Mk2 in 1939, I don't think I've seen a Mk1* with these lugs as they always seem to be the Mk1 & Mk2 type.
    Love the imprint of the net, is the net the early woven type or the later knotted type.
    Aaron

many thanks guys for your help ,if you dont ask you dont find out i will put her all back together now im still stumped on the maker mark and i dont really want to start removing paint from the rim to see so it will remain a mystery and tin lid it must be an early woven example here's some pics just for you thanks again jamesbritish helmet questionbritish helmet question