Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Mark 4 helmet

Article about: Hi Fellow collectors, here's a British Korean War era helmet which I thought you might like to see. I do have a question which I hope you can help me with, which is why were these helmets pa

?

Default British Mark 4 helmet

Hi Fellow collectors, here's a British Korean War era helmet which I thought you might like to see.
    I do have a question which I hope you can help me with, which is why were these helmets painted Black and not Khaki???

Thanks for looking, Opex.

British Mark 4 helmetBritish Mark 4 helmet
    British Mark 4 helmetBritish Mark 4 helmet
    British Mark 4 helmet

The only info i can find says early Mark 4s were painted in a shade of khaki, but later 1950s produced helmets were painted either green or black with some being painted blue for (military?) police use in west Germany!...
    .: World War Helmets - Casque Mark IV :.

?

The first Mk4's were painted dark brown, & were produced from early 45 until January 46. When production again started in 52/53 I don't know if they still painted them dark brown or whether they went straight over to olive drab as that was the colour they started to use at about that time.
    Why they were painted black I don't know, maybe for places like N. Ireland & duties in the UK?

?

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    The only info i can find says early Mark 4s were painted in a shade of khaki, but later 1950s produced helmets were painted either green or black with some being painted blue for (military?) police use in west Germany!...
    .: World War Helmets - Casque Mark IV :.

Thanks for the link and information Gunny, great site

?

Quote by tinlid View Post
    The first Mk4's were painted dark brown, & were produced from early 45 until January 46. When production again started in 52/53 I don't know if they still painted them dark brown or whether they went straight over to olive drab as that was the colour they started to use at about that time.
    Why they were painted black I don't know, maybe for places like N. Ireland & duties in the UK?
    Thanks again for looking and for your information tinlid much appreciated.

A pleasure Opex!....

I believe the blue/black colour was for tropical service as it's dark in the jungle under the forest canopy-if you've seen the film "The Virgin Soldiers' you'll see the helmets in use with that colour in Malaya.

Quote by lithgow View Post
    I believe the blue/black colour was for tropical service as it's dark in the jungle under the forest canopy-if you've seen the film "The Virgin Soldiers' you'll see the helmets in use with that colour in Malaya.
    Sounds logical!...

I think painted black as used by the RUC in Northern Ireland

?

I find it surprising that the first Mk 4's were painted Brown as this colour had been officially discontinued in early 1944 and my Mk 3 is painted a dark green. Not being able to read that article I don't know if it quotes an official source.

I would agree with the suggestion that the black colour was either for Police or even Civil Defence. The example I observed almost appeared to be a primer rather than the final colour but this seems unlikely.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast