Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

British Mark 4 helmet

Article about: by James C great looking turtle helmet opex ,i have a soft spot for these and find them strangely appealing perhaps partly its down to patriotism ,but when scrimmed up they sure do look good

?

Quote by James C View Post
    very nice opex and great camo netting too ,was it original to the helmet ,thanks for showing
    Thanks James, no I added the net to add a bit more of a "displayability" factor to it, and also to protect the paint finish which is original, which may sound odd but all my other Mk5's have copious layers of vehicle paint on them, in fact a few years ago I stripped one down and it had 5 layers of vehicle paint only to discover the bottom layer of paint was silver!!!!!???

Thanks for looking

either way it looks great opex the netting seems more subdued than the one i recently purchased from sof ,your very much like me ,always faffing with helmets and hopefully learning more from it or destroying them in the process

I wore one of these on many occasions from 1976 to 1989 during my RAF service and I concur with all that has been said about how uncomfortable and unstable these things were.........I also know from painfull experience that if your 'mate' hit the top of the helmet hard enough the liner could be compressed to the point where the 'spike' for the lift the dot fastener could make a very painfull impression in the top of you skull.............

?

Quote by James C View Post
    either way it looks great opex the netting seems more subdued than the one i recently purchased from sof ,your very much like me ,always faffing with helmets and hopefully learning more from it or destroying them in the process
    Hi James, thanks and yes this netting is an old piece I had knocking about,the camo patterned part is more green hues than than SOF version which as you know is more rust red. I am always seeking out more information, but sadly do have a tendency to muck about with some of my collection, which on occasions has been ever so slightly disastrous, and probably knocked a bit of value of the piece, but with the "silver surfer lid " I think I did it a favour!!

Regards

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3