Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British MK III / IV Transitional Helmet

Article about: Hi all. I was really pleased to pick this up for a tenner. I know these transitional helmets turn up from time to time but I like the way that this one encompasses all development stages of

Default British MK III / IV Transitional Helmet

Hi all. I was really pleased to pick this up for a tenner. I know these transitional helmets turn up from time to time but I like the way that this one encompasses all development stages of the British "Turtle Shell" Helmet.

The shell is obviously a MK III (date obscured by paint) that has been rather roughly retrofitted with a LTD stud to allow it to accept the MK IV liner. It has then been fitted with the last model liner that appears to be dated 1983, thus converting it to a MK V. Named to a Gunner so used at some point by the Royal Artillery. This came with a very thick scrim net on it but I have removed that as IMO it detracted from the helmet and without it the stages of this helmet's life can be clearly seen.

Hope this is of interest.

Cheers.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MK III / IV Transitional Helmet   British MK III / IV Transitional Helmet  

British MK III / IV Transitional Helmet   British MK III / IV Transitional Helmet  

British MK III / IV Transitional Helmet   British MK III / IV Transitional Helmet  

?

Just goes to show what a long service life these helmets had, 40+ years.

I am personally fond of calling these a MkIII*, not a formal thing at all, just something I like to do, given the British Armies love of adding stars to things!

A nice example of a "long life" MKIII, I remember those spongy inners before the Kevlar's came into service. They were comfortable! Leon.

'managed to pick one of these up at the Overlord Show this weekend. I think it's my first hybrid. Like the previous example this one came smothered in period net camo pieces and when removed a green and black camo pattern was evident....'would be interested in views re the paint job.....army? or small child with a tin of Humbrol?

Attachment 1079173Attachment 1079181Attachment 1079176

I still don't really understand how the LTD peg is fitted as it all looks a bit messy...on the outside at least

Attachment 1079178Attachment 1079175

All the usual date stamps are clear except of course the all-important one on the shell although I have been able to find a "4" and possibly an "8" or a "B"

Attachment 1079180Attachment 1079179Attachment 1079177Attachment 1079174

...and it clearly had a rim piece at one stage...and to add insult to injury the shell stamp was so hard one can make out the positioning from the outside....although not hard enough to make out what it says!

Attachment 1079182

...well, it fills a gap........

?

Great find at the Overlord show , that's where I picked my three MKII 's up on Saturday .

Without wishing to divert this thread onto the Overlord Show...but yes, it was good (for helmets at least)....'also picked up a nice HF MkII too myself there. I suspect a few members attend these things....and spend all day walking past each other not knowing :-)

Going back to these hybrids.......presumably there's no official designation for them?....mkIIIA??? mkMkIV - I ? And does anyone know how the LTD "post" was retro-installed?

I had assumed that given the relatively crude job that was done on the LTD stud on mine, that it was probably done by the unit it was issued to. Certainly not a factory job.

?

Quote by Composite View Post
    Without wishing to divert this thread onto the Overlord Show...but yes, it was good (for helmets at least)....'also picked up a nice HF MkII too myself there. I suspect a few members attend these things....and spend all day walking past each other not knowing :-)

Going back to these hybrids.......presumably there's no official designation for them?....mkIIIA??? mkMkIV - I ? And does anyone know how the LTD "post" was retro-installed?
    Sorry I didn't intend to divert your thread.

Here is my one I acquired recently
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MK III / IV Transitional Helmet   British MK III / IV Transitional Helmet  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast