Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Mk2 N°1 Raw Edge

Article about: Morning all, it is always interesting to find one of these Mk2 N°1 raw edge helmet, made by BMB in 1941; I like this example for its matt khaki green paint and especially for the Mk1 liner a

Default British Mk2 N°1 Raw Edge

Morning all,
    it is always interesting to find one of these Mk2 N°1 raw edge helmet, made by BMB in 1941; I like this example for its matt khaki green paint and especially for the Mk1 liner also marked BMB 1939 +acceptance stamp; usually I always saw them with the Mk2 liner.
    In the first time it was given in use to National Fire Service, but for reasons unknown to me, it has been removed the NFS decal and also the below oval with Fire Force number (see last photo), I think it was reused by another Home Front organization.
    Considering that it has not been repainted and have not been added identification letters on the front, may have been used by Home Guard, but it's just an idea.
    Overall it seems a pleasant helmet and as always my pleasure to share with you.

Regards
    Roberto

British Mk2 N°1 Raw EdgeBritish Mk2 N°1 Raw EdgeBritish Mk2 N°1 Raw EdgeBritish Mk2 N°1 Raw EdgeBritish Mk2 N°1 Raw EdgeBritish Mk2 N°1 Raw EdgeBritish Mk2 N°1 Raw EdgeBritish Mk2 N°1 Raw EdgeBritish Mk2 N°1 Raw EdgeBritish Mk2 N°1 Raw EdgeBritish Mk2 N°1 Raw EdgeBritish Mk2 N°1 Raw Edge

?

The original grey colour can be seen inside, and would have been on the outside too. The green colour outside was most likely applied by the NFS, although sometimes they left the grey colour outside when applying the NFS decals.
    Nice one Roberto

Thanks Aaron,
    correct, inside it is gray.

Roberto

I have a very similar one....but with NFS badges remaining....including grey underneath....but also an "AFS" on the back and over-painted....could this one be an ex-AFS grey helmet??

Quote by Composite View Post
    I have a very similar one....but with NFS badges remaining....including grey underneath....but also an "AFS" on the back and over-painted....could this one be an ex-AFS grey helmet??
    Hi Composite,
    I have observed well it, and the sequence would seem to be this: first gray coloration, then repainted khaki green and adding decals and with this configuration used or stored by NFS/AFS, then was taken off the decal, and how you say, it has become a ex-NFS/AFS and reused, but difficult to say by whom.

Roberto
    Last edited by OldSteel; 03-11-2017 at 07:47 PM. Reason: correct word

?

Here's a couple for comparison.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mk2 N°1 Raw Edge   British Mk2 N°1 Raw Edge  

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Here's a couple for comparison.
    And my one.

Interesting that the thread starter has the MKI liner, is that common for these. Whilst I appreciate they would use up whatever was to hand, there is a two year date disparity between the helmet and liner.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mk2 N°1 Raw Edge   British Mk2 N°1 Raw Edge  

British Mk2 N°1 Raw Edge  
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

I have seen a few with the Mk1 liner in, and had no doubts about them.

...one more....this one's got "AFS" in white to the rear......

British Mk2 N°1 Raw EdgeBritish Mk2 N°1 Raw Edge

...'begs the question...did they all go to the NFS...at least initially??......'guess we'll all have to re-look at our rimless ones and report back........

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast