Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"

Article about: Morning everyone, in these days of 72 years ago, Allied troops of 5th US Army and 8th British Army launched the “Spring Offensive” (code name: “Operation Grapeshot”) for the final conquest o

Default British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"

Morning everyone,
    in these days of 72 years ago, Allied troops of 5th US Army and 8th British Army launched the “Spring Offensive” (code name: “Operation Grapeshot”) for the final conquest of Northern Italy, that led to the end of the War, which ended in Italy at April 25, 1945.
    In recent days, in a meeting with friends interested in these events, I showed them some relics of that battle and I happened into the hands this British helmet Mk2 I had posted last year with a few quick photos, but I had not yet studied well, now instead I have a better idea about its history and I tried to photograph it best to tell it.
    I found it in a local flea market, then I realized that the liner was cut to widen it and wear it above the wool hat “balaclava” and later, spent the winter, riveted to its original position.
    I hope that from attached photos is possible to note the handmade cutting and green wool fibers still attached to oilcloth at the contact points with the hat.
    This makes me think that its owner, whose name appears on the chin strap but I could not identify, he fought on the Apennines mountains, which were crossed by the Gothic Line during the winter of 1944 and then he has participated to Spring Offensive in April 1945.
    The helmet was abandoned during the fighting in the Po Valley for a reason unknown to me.
    This fact makes it particularly interesting to my eyes, even if it is a simple Army Mk2, and even though when a soldier loses his helmet is never a good sign, I hope that its owner has returned to home safely.

Thanks for looking
    Roberto

British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"

?

Nice helmet, the name looks like F/O (flight officer) ? SAVIL.

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Nice helmet, the name looks like F/O (flight officer) ? SAVIL.
    Thanks Aaron,
    actually the name seems to be "SAVIL", even if the first letter is very faded, but I had no idea of the F / O meaning, and yours is a good suggestion; then in your experience "Flight Officer" might make sense on a helmet like this?

Aaron,
    also from reading this it seems that you're right!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flying_officer

?

If it is F/O, then this helmet is exactly what he would have been wearing.
    Here's my F/O Parmee.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"   British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"  

British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"  

Very nice,
    it seems to me that on dome there is a colored circle, but otherwise looks similar to my example, now I have to search for the placement of airports manned by the RAF in that area and in that period.

Thanks again!

?

The yellow dome paint is gas detecting.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"   British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot"  

Thank, this thing I did not know! good information and I'm interested to understand how it worked: I suppose it was a substance that changes color on contact with gas, correct?

Another nice MKII that has a nice back story to it, well done Roberto. Leon.

?

Of course it could be an FOO, forward observation officer, or by the time of Italy: British "Rover" system. These were pairings of air controllers and army liaison officers at the front; they were able to switch communications seamlessly from one brigade to another—hence Rover.
    However, one drawback for the Rovers was the constant rotation of pilots, who were there for fortnightly stints, leading to a lack of institutional memory.
    Attached Images Attached Images British Mk2 "Operation Grapeshot" 

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast