Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Mk4 helmet with unusual insignia - any thoughts?

Article about: I spotted this in a second hand shop today. I'm curious about the unusual colour and insignia. I'm assuming it's been added by a collector/dealer and (incorrectly) added to the rear. Any tho

?

Default British Mk4 helmet with unusual insignia - any thoughts?

I spotted this in a second hand shop today. I'm curious about the unusual colour and insignia. I'm assuming it's been added by a collector/dealer and (incorrectly) added to the rear. Any thoughts?

As you will see from the photos, the liner is dated 1952 and maker FFL.

I didn't buy it but was rather intrigued.

Thanks

?

Middle-East probably (countries under former British control)
    Luc

?

Thanks for the super quick reply!

...not convinced.....most think that black Mk4s were ONLY used by Civil Defence....they hit the markets widely a while ago....I’d suggest this is not a military marking and the work of someone with too much time on their hands.

Although I wouldn’t be surprised if some one now posts pics of a military parade from the Middle East with everyone wearing them...��

?

Default From Iraq?

Following the Middle East suggestion I did some more research and now believe it could be a 'genuine' item from Iraq. The 'eagle' has similarities with the Iraq coat of arms and the national flag used between 1963-1991 featured three stars. Also, some of the the old helmets including British MKII and MKIV turtle seen at the Iraq/Iran victory war memorial in Baghdad appear to be a similar shade of green:

Interesting and there’s definitely a similarity......but it doesn’t look as if yours has sat in the dust and sun at the foot of a statue for ages....or indeed, sat anywhere for long. It could be a re-creation of one of those items using a Brit Civil shell as a base though....

?

Yes, I agree. It´s condition is too good to be from that particular haul. It looks more like a display item. However, I do still wonder whether it could have originated from Iraq. Speculation I know, but interesting.

?

Sorry to disappoint but this is not a military issue item. Likely fancy dress or kids thing rather than a deliberate attempt to deceive - at least we can hope.

The eagle sticker is on ebay.

As a side note, this eagle is pictured from above where as the Iraqi eagle crest it is seen from the front.

Steve.

?

Yes, that settles it. Glad I didn´t buy it then

That also explains why the decal was on the rear, by mistake.

Thanks Steve!