Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British Mk7 as first issued

Article about: Good afternoon gents, I couldn't find another thread to add this to nor could I see much on the Mk7 anyway so if this needs moving I hope one of the Mods can oblige. I am not a helmet collec

Default British Mk7 as first issued

Good afternoon gents,

I couldn't find another thread to add this to nor could I see much on the Mk7 anyway so if this needs moving I hope one of the Mods can oblige.

I am not a helmet collector but as with most of us I suppose other stuff finds its way into my collection on occasion and somehow I find I have some 30 lids now

Anyway, I thought this Mk7 complete with packaging (which shows the nomenclature) might be of interest.

The shell label would be very hard to photograph on this one but it shows that this is a 2009 issue making it one of the first (the Mk7 was introduced in 2009). This explains why the cover is labelled as a Mk6 because MTP was introduced while the Mk6 was in service and before the Mk7 so the earliest Mk7 lids had Mk6 covers as they do fit as you can see. Now that the Mk6 is no longer issued the MTP covers are Mk7 specific, I'm not too sure if they are physically different though.

I never used the Mk7 in service (I retired in 1999) but I did use the Mk6 and I can certainly say that the Mk7 is far more comfortable with no need to stuff it with field dressings etc to stop the knot in the drawstring giving you a headache. My son used the Mk7 in Afghanistan so we compared notes as it were and he agrees

It seems these are none to common on the collectors market at the moment but I daresay with talk of an impending replacement that may change soon (unless the whole lot get flogged to some "client state"

Here are a few pics;

British Mk7 as first issuedBritish Mk7 as first issuedBritish Mk7 as first issuedBritish Mk7 as first issuedBritish Mk7 as first issuedBritish Mk7 as first issuedBritish Mk7 as first issuedBritish Mk7 as first issuedBritish Mk7 as first issuedBritish Mk7 as first issuedBritish Mk7 as first issuedBritish Mk7 as first issued

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Very nice, Im an RN Reservist and we are still using the Mk 6, but we are still isued ECBA which the army got rid of years ago!

Quote by Warspite View Post
    Very nice, Im an RN Reservist and we are still using the Mk 6, but we are still isued ECBA which the army got rid of years ago!
    Yep, that is pretty usual I think. If I recall correctly at the time that SA80 was introduced RN units equipped with SLR still had rifles with wooden furniture. With many kinds of kit that are not navy specific and are already in the system it makes logistic sense.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Definitely- for what we use them for it makes sense to prioritise elsewhere. We get stuff cascaded down, so we have just gone from iron sights to SUSATS on the SA80 as the army didn't need them anymore (quite a difference on the range!)

We still have mark 6a issued at my RE unit still with mark6 marked mtp covers with them ,the mk7 is now looking at being replaced also

:
    Quote by kradman View Post
    We still have mark 6a issued at my RE unit still with mark6 marked mtp covers with them ,the mk7 is now looking at being replaced also
    Yes, the Mk6A is an interesting helmet in itself and there seems to be little information in circulation about it. To me it seems to have been an interim measure to ameliorate the shortcomings of the Mk6 particularly in terms of comfort. It is certainly not as common as the Mk6 and there are many more Mk7 in circulation. As I say, I am aware of the intention to replace the Mk7 (with Mk8???) but I have no knowledge of any prototype or even projected design. Maybe somebody here can shed some light on that?

@ Kradman, what type of RE unit are you talking about, 1st line, 2nd line, reserve? I'm just curious as to who is equipped with what as my own service is slipping more into the past by the day and I like to keep in touch by whatever means I can

There are two Engr Regts near where I am located as well as Inf, Cav, Arty and support arms and although I look as closely as I can I don't see anyone sporting the Mk6A.

I know that this is possibly getting away from the topic so to keep the thread tidy if you are inclined to answer PM me. If not, fair enough

Regards

Mark

Hi Mark
    There is a new system called VIRTUS coming into service which is a new Body Armour helmet system that will be issued , its being trialed at the moment but will start to be issued this month to front line units ,