Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

British MkI Brodie,Help

Article about: Hi fellas, I wonder if anyone can help me with this Brodie Please. Its a UK MkI Sand Camo,manufactured by Hadfields Ltd. But the story that came with it,was that it was issued to an Australi

Default British MkI Brodie,Help

Hi fellas,
    I wonder if anyone can help me with this Brodie Please.
    Its a UK MkI Sand Camo,manufactured by Hadfields Ltd.
    But the story that came with it,was that it was issued to an Australian Navy Sailor in WW2,however on closer inspection it seems to have the letters ARP,underneath the Sand Camo finish.After a little research i found that the ARP was set up in 1924.
    Do you think it is a WW1 combat helmet used as an ARP Helmet inter war and then refurbished and reissued to the RAN early WW2.
    Its a real mystery,
    Any ideas welcome ?
    Mick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkI Brodie,Help   British MkI Brodie,Help  

British MkI Brodie,Help  

Default Re: British MkI Brodie,Help

I have no idea Mick! just thought ta thread looked a bit lonely As you said quite a mystery? could be just an old ARP Helmet that some one has turned into a desert Rat for fun, or as you told it, hope someone can help, by the way what was the ARP wasn't it some sort of home guard? or Police?
    Cheers Phill.

Quote by WOODSNAKE View Post
    I have no idea Mick! just thought ta thread looked a bit lonely As you said quite a mystery? could be just an old ARP Helmet that some one has turned into a desert Rat for fun, or as you told it, hope someone can help, by the way what was the ARP wasn't it some sort of home guard? or Police?
    Cheers Phill.

Thanks Phill,for your thoughts on it.
    Its a strange one thats for sure

Air Raid Precautions (ARP) was an organisation in the United Kingdom set up as an aid in the prelude to the Second World War dedicated to the protection of civilians from the danger of air-raids. It was created in 1924 as a response to the fears about the growing threat from the development of bomber aircraft.
    Of course this was also adopted by Australia.
    It wasnt needed as much here as it was in England,but it was in place,just in case
    Cheers Mick

Here is a photo of an ARP Air Raid Warden here in Brisbane in 1942.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkI Brodie,Help  

I haven't got much to say either. All I can see is that it is definitely a WW1 British helmet, and certainly saw service later with the ARP somewhere. I don't see anything that would suggest naval use though. WW1 helmets that saw use in WW2 were refurbished to the Mk I* type, certainly by the UK, Australia and Canada,as I have seen examples from all three nations.

Rob

Thanks Mick, I like his warning siren it's a Beauty!
    Phill

?

This a picture from Australia under attack | Australian War Memorial it shows an Australian ARP warden with 'ARP 'on the front of the helmet.
    British MkI Brodie,Help

I would be surprised it is was issued to the Navy during WWII.

Most re-issued MKIs in Britain had the liner replaced with the MKII liner, 'ARP' was not a designated helmet marking in Britain.
    Steve

(I would be surprised it is was issued to the Navy during WWII.

Most re-issued MKIs in Britain had the liner replaced with the MKII liner, 'ARP' was not a designated helmet marking in Britain.
    Steve[/QUOTE])

Im starting to get the feeling that the Sailor story WAS made up or at least misleading
    Nothing surprises me these days,but i do have to wonder why it was Sand Camoed over the ARP.A WW1 helmet is a WW1 helmet,whatever the markings.
    And Thanks Steve,i didnt know that 'ARP' was not a designated helmet marking in Britain.
    Cheers Mick

I think the 'ARP' is not 'coming through' I think it has faded off the sand cammon that it was ovepainted to. The white was a thin wash coat and had poor adhesion, overtime it has flaked off leavinr residue in the deeper areas, giving the illuson of being underneath. That finish is classic WW I, it was noted widely practiced in WW 2 - and certainly not from teh factory - as was the case in WW I. I agree, very common for WW I helmets to be re-issued to support and civilian units in WW 2. I also doubt any Naval connection in a formal fashion.