Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here

British MkI helmet

Article about: I got this a couple years ago, and not being able to much for books on the subject, I threw myself on the mercy of the dealer. From what I've read on this forum, I don't think I did too bad.

Default British MkI helmet

I got this a couple years ago, and not being able to much for books on the subject, I threw myself on the mercy of the dealer. From what I've read on this forum, I don't think I did too bad.

Were all the paint jobs like this, or was this redone?

It's just that you can see where it ran, so that made me question if it was painted by the military or if it could have been a private individual.

GSV K
    MkI 1941

The other pictures I've seen here, the bolt thru the top is much larger than this, could this have been replaced by a private person, or did the military use smaller ones at a later date?

Thank you for any info

all the best, Paul

NCA
    ?

Default Re: British MkI helmet

Its a Canadian mk1.Shell is by General Steel Wares and the liner is by Viceroy mfg company of Toronto.
    I think the paint job is original and the chinstrap maybe post war, similar types were fitted on British mk3 helmets..

Thank you for your help. So, what makers marks should I look for for a British helmet? Or would you have any links to share?

Says MkI, but it is really a MkII

The helmet is a Canadian Mk II, as my fellow Albertan, mk1rceme says. The shell, (as NCA mentioned made by General Steel Wares of Toronto) is referred to as a Mk I (as it is the first type produced in Canada), but the whole helmet is still called a Mk II. Paint is original.

The Liner is missing it's crown pad, which looks like this:

British MkI helmetBritish MkI helmet

These are available on eBay quite often, in fact there is one right here selling now: WW2- CANADIAN COMBAT HELMET SHELL CROWN PAD | eBay. These are new-old-stock pads, that could be Belgian post-war or just surplus Canadian/British, but are the right type anyway. Would finish it off nicely anyway.

The Chinstrap is a Mk III type, introduced for British helmets in 1941, so probably wartime, although they were used post-war. Later ones were a different, more green, colour. The Mk III was introduced due to a shortage of the spring steel needed for the Mk II strap. There was also a Mk IIIA, introduced in 1943, which has a section of non-elasticated fabric in the centre.

I'm not sure if the bolt holding the liner on is actually original though. Again, originals do show up on the dreaded eBay, although they get a bit pricey for the tiny little machine screws and nuts that they are Some pictures of that would help confirm its authenticity.

Rob

Quote by Stinkpotpete View Post
    Thank you for your help. So, what makers marks should I look for for a British helmet? Or would you have any links to share?
    Here you go Paul,courtesy of Rob over on GHW.These are some of the most common makers,

AMC ....... Austin Motor Co Cowley.
    BH&G...... Barrow Hepburn & Gale ltd (liner manufacturer)
    BMB.........Briggs Motor Bodies Ltd Daggenham (liner and helmet manufacturer)
    C.............Clydesdale Stamping Co Ltd
    CCL.........Christy & Co (liner manufacturer)
    EC&Co Ltd E Carmeliant & Co Ltd Birmingham
    F&L...........Fisher & Ludlow Ltd Birmingham
    HBH..........Harrison Bros & Howson
    JCS & W ltd J ComptonSons & Webb (British liner manufacturer)
    JSS...........John Sankey & Sons Bilston
    N ltd..........SE Norris Ltd ( British liner manufacturer)
    RO & Co....Rubery Owen & Co Ltd Darlaston
    SNL...........SE Norris Ltd ( British liner manufacturer)
    TTC...........Teddy Toy Company ( British liner manufacturer)
    WD............William Dobson & Son Birmingham .

Quote by aussie mick View Post
    Here you go Paul,courtesy of Rob over on GHW.These are some of the most common makers,

AMC ....... Austin Motor Co Cowley.
    BH&G...... Barrow Hepburn & Gale ltd (liner manufacturer)
    BMB.........Briggs Motor Bodies Ltd Daggenham (liner and helmet manufacturer)
    C.............Clydesdale Stamping Co Ltd
    CCL.........Christy & Co (liner manufacturer)
    EC&Co Ltd E Carmeliant & Co Ltd Birmingham
    F&L...........Fisher & Ludlow Ltd Birmingham
    HBH..........Harrison Bros & Howson
    JCS & W ltd J ComptonSons & Webb (British liner manufacturer)
    JSS...........John Sankey & Sons Bilston
    N ltd..........SE Norris Ltd ( British liner manufacturer)
    RO & Co....Rubery Owen & Co Ltd Darlaston
    SNL...........SE Norris Ltd ( British liner manufacturer)
    TTC...........Teddy Toy Company ( British liner manufacturer)
    WD............William Dobson & Son Birmingham .
    I can see one mistake there. JSS is Joseph Sankey & Sons Ltd

Rob

THank you very much for all the help everyone. The dealer assured me this was a British helmet, I know, caveat emptor, at least now I know a few things to look for, besides a Long Branch No 4 lol Bayonets are easier I'm thinking, but I'm still going to save a head for a British Brodie Helmet.