Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast

British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet

Article about: Hello Ade, Here's a post war Turtle given to me by a friend who found it in a garage. Mk IV 1954, manufactured by CCL. Do you know who CCL were? Cheers, Guy.

liner is probably BMB ( briggs motor bodies same with the helmet shell )

Hello everybody....

I have recently bought thid mrk.3 helmet and Im wondering about the colour...IS IT ww2 painted ??

Any comments would be appricated...

Best Regards

Peter
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet   British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

Quote by geelong View Post
    heres some images i think you can say this helmet is in a salty condition. and its ashame that its missing the center pad. i can make out a stamp in the shell but couldent get a image. got home from work to late again. i think it says RO&CO but could be vero. thanks for looking.
    Clearly Vero 1944 on the liner cradle.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

?

Hi Peter, Looks to have been painted post war olive drab, the first Mk3's were painted khaki green.
    Here's some pics of a khaki green Mk3 over painted post war olive drab.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet   British MkIII Turtle pattern helmet  

Hi Aaron,thanks for the insight.... Well,when it comes to my militaria collecting the expire date is 1945 so this "turtle" has to move on... Crap....

Could you say when the olive drab was introduced ?? Perhaps the 50s or 60s or ??

?

At the end of the war 44/45 vehicles were being painted olive drab, but if a soldier decided to paint his helmet this colour he wouldn't have of taken the liner out to do it.
    I think it was the early 50's when they started painting the Mk4 olive drab, so probably about that time they started refurbishing Mk3 & 1945 dated Mk4's. Sometimes they are just painted on the outside & others inside & out with olive drab. A lot of the time they will have a post war liner in, mostly dated late 40's to early 50's.

The liner is 1944 marked,the shell is impossible to make out due to heavy paint job... And the paint job goes inside and out,and its so smooth I would call it a factory done job...

odysseios
    ?

Hi, this is mine. No markings (paint is very thick), only the size on the liner (inside/outside):

Sorry mate pictures aren't working properly, you'll have to upload them again. My apologies they are up and running now!

Very nice helmet. I used to think they were really ugly but my opinion of them has changed since I started reading up on them here. I think they look great with a net on too. Isn't it unusual for a liner to have no makers stamp?

Ian.

P.s Welcome to the forum too!

odysseios
    ?

Hi Ian,
    i already was in the forum from 2012, but can't remember if i already posted or not.
    This is the 1st liner i saw without stamps... but seems to be good!

Bruno

Page 9 of 28 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 19 ... LastLast