Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

British Motor Cyclist's helmets of WWII

Article about: Hi Guys, this is the second pattern helmet introduced for wear by "Don R's" or Motorcycle despatch riders. The first pattern helmet was not steel but was like civvy bike helmets of

Default British Motor Cyclist's helmets of WWII

Hi Guys, this is the second pattern helmet introduced for wear by "Don R's" or Motorcycle despatch riders. The first pattern helmet was not steel but was like civvy bike helmets of the era and made out of pulp (compressed paper). This would protect the head if you fell off, but was no good against shell fragments etc.

The new steel shell was based upon the design used for the 3rd pattern Airborne helmet, but with a very different liner. (I should add that early 1942 examples used the same shell as the 2nd pattern airborne helmet with the fibre rim. The liner also fixes in place using bolts. These are rare.)

The maker is "BMB" or Briggs Motor Bodies. Dated 1942.

This example from my collection is one which came from military stores and is unissued.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII   British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII  

British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII   British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII  

British Motor Cyclist's helmets  of WWII  
    Last edited by Jerry B; 10-26-2014 at 09:50 PM.

Default Re: British Motor Cyclist's 2nd pattern steel helmet

Nice one! Always good to see motor cyclist's stuff!

Fantastic Helmet! What a well preserved piece of History!
    Regards,

Joel

ace
    ?

now that is a beautiful helmet nice one

I should be getting one of those.
    Nice new old stock helmet, displays well

aj4010
    ?

Hello, this is my first post here. Thats a nice helmet, I have one in similar condition. Thought you may be interested, my father was a dispatch rider in WW2, R.A.F., and wore one of those. Went through France and Germany with Pattons third, on a Harley!
    Regards to you all,
    Andy

Call to arms
    ?

Unhappy Re: British Motor Cyclist's 2nd pattern steel helmet

I bought a nice one of these a few years which has 'RAF' stencilled in red at the front although a little faint now. This is also a well preserved helmet and one that is getting more difficult to find in my opinion.

I did hear that some are being bought up and stripped so that the shell could be religned with a paratrooper liner as passed off as orignal.

Beware what you buy

aj4010
    ?

I did hear that some are being bought up and stripped so that the shell could be religned with a paratrooper liner as passed off as orignal.

Beware what you buy

That is so true, as para helmets get scarce, watch out for the price of despatch and R.A.C. helmets take off.
    On a side note, I picked mine up in the USA. There seems to be a lot of mint and genuine ones over there.
    Anyone any ideas how they got there? Through Canada perhaps?
    Regards,
    Andy

SteveO
    ?

That's a beautiful helmet! I can only hope to find something
    in similar condition, in size 7 3/4, that I can wear, daily, as
    I ride my Royal Enfield Military model. Of course, I wouldn't DARE
    wear such a pristine collectable, but, rather, a refurbished helmet
    in similar condition. Perhaps I'll find guidance toward locating
    one some day.

Reg
    ?

That's in great condition "sweede saver" Ade! I've a BMB 44 dated version, though wanting of some paint, I wore it a bit out on my old 500 a few years ago just to see what it was like...Daunting was the conclusion! until I remembered the goggles. (yes, I know it should have had a kite mark according to regs.....blah) just glad I didd'nt have an off! I think mine has a horse-hair padding at the back and not fibre, maybe the later war production ones used this as materials became scarcer? Ive also a decent pair of those dispatch riders wartime gloves which were all over the collectors markets some years ago.

Cheers
    Reg

Page 1 of 13 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast