Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

British National Fire Service helmet

Article about: Heres a very recent pick up, 1939 dated section leaders helmet ,looking at the blisters on paint it saw plenty of fires, rgds Dave

?

Default British National Fire Service helmet

Heres a very recent pick up, 1939 dated section leaders helmet ,looking at the blisters on paint it saw plenty of fires, rgds Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British National Fire Service helmet   British National Fire Service helmet  

British National Fire Service helmet   British National Fire Service helmet  

Default re: British National Fire Service helmet

Nice NFS helmet! They were true heroes!

NCA
    ?

Very nice.
    The 34 is for London, Ealing.
    i have one in my collection with the number for Preston.It has one red stripe on it?Do you know what that may represent?

?

Hi, 1 red band is a leading fireman, that's a nice section learder by the way.
    Not sure if the blisters on the red bands are from the the heat from fires, or just reacting to the paint on the helmet.
    Aaron
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British National Fire Service helmet   British National Fire Service helmet  

Attached Images Attached Images British National Fire Service helmet 

If the single red band is on a dark coloured helmet and is half inch wide its a leading fireman if the band is one and half inches wide its a company officer.

NCA
    ?

Thanks for the info.Im going to have to dig mine out now and measure the band!
    another question, my lid has what looks like a service number underneath on the brim..is this the firemans number?It looks very similar to the ones of this type ive seen on ebay..any way of tracing/finding out any more info?
    Also, as mine is numbered for Preston, did Preston suffer in the Blitz?
    (sorry for the hi-jack)
    Heres a useful list of NFS numbers: Home

Quote by tinlid View Post
    Hi, 1 red band is a leading fireman, that's a nice section learder by the way.
    Not sure if the blisters on the red bands are from the the heat from fires, or just reacting to the paint on the helmet.
    Aaron
    Sorry Aaron I didn't see that you had already answerd this.

?

Hi,
    Preston did get bombed during the blitz of 40-41, & also by the flying bombs at christmas 44. But I don't think there were any deaths.
    The number on the underside of the brim is most probably his service number.
    Aaron