Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

British Para Helmet

Article about: I am not sure what model or date this helmet is as where the date usually is the leather is worn. z4.

Default British Para Helmet

I am not sure what model or date this helmet is as where the date usually is the leather is worn.

z4.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture British Para Helmet   British Para Helmet  

British Para Helmet   British Para Helmet  

?

Well it looks like a bit of a mash up, you have a Mk2 HSAT made in 43/44, but with leather straps that are probably fake. The leather straps were only on HSAT from 42 -43 made helmets.The Mk2 HSAT only had 3 fixing points for the straps while the Mk1 HSAT had 4, so a bit of a quandary as to how they fit on.

Thanks for the reply tinlid, not sure if the straps are repo or not.

z4

?

Hi zephyr IMO Aaron is spot on this is a put together helmet and I strongly suspect the straps as repo as well the wear and patina does not match the rest of the helmet the harness is a very recent addition.
    There is no wear, rub marks or age to it what so ever the edges of the harness still show fresh brown dye there is no oxidization and or discoloration to the rivets,washers and or buckles and there are no marks on the chinstrap from being pulled through the buckle rings and cinched up that I would expect to see on a harness that has been swapped out and used 70 odd years ago.

Regards Mark K

Ok Mark thanks for the reply, I might take some better quality picture's then put it on ebay.

z4

?

Straps repro ...
    Therefore tampered with ...
    Therefore Knock-together ...

Give it a miss ..

Gary J.

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Straps repro ...
    Therefore tampered with ...
    Therefore Knock-together ...

Give it a miss ..
    Gary J.
    The helmet is mine, any idea what its worth and is it possible to get original straps or just put it on ebay as is.

z4

?

Original straps are as rare as hens teeth these days .....

If placed on e-bay, I would make the point of mentioning that repro straps are fitted.
    As for pricing ...
    For an idea, check out Pegasus Militaria - who do a range of repro British airborne material ...

Pegasus Militaria: Our Products

Gary J.
    (Baring in mind, a repro liner and leather straps are priced around the £75 area.)

Thanks for the info Gary that is why if I put it on ebay I will take better pic's so they can see what the straps are like.

z4

?

You are between a rock & a hard place with this one, webbing straps do quite often turn up on ebay for about £25+.
    But you also need the 3 brass fixings which the webbing straps go through, if you have them get the webbing straps. Then sell the leather repro ones on ebay as such.
    The helmet as it is looks a bit rough, but being a large size with or without any straps might get £120-180, maybe more if you are lucky.